MEOW #143: "Lifeline"

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Cat has been debagged. Fun puzzle and great clues (expect nothing less from a Dr. Tom/Wendy collab). Thanks you two!
Matthew
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Thank you!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Meg wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:37 am Cat is out and wondering why I made it so complicated.
Cause that's what we do!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat: Fun one - thanks!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

I also wanted to overcomplicate this, but the cat is out and getting acquainted with my 3 kitties. Great puzzle!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Cat's out of the bag - thank you, @DrTom and @Wendy Walker!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Cat’s out! Very enjoyable!
Konnie
Darth

Post by Darth »

Darn cat! Liberated and now hiding....
62ea79f944def-cat-nervous-hiding-under-sofa-rf.jpg
Berto

Post by Berto »

Cat’s out! Very enjoyable after seemingly a few weeks of head scratchers. Thank you Wendy and Dr Tom!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

SamKat9 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:37 pm I also wanted to overcomplicate this, but the cat is out and getting acquainted with my 3 kitties. Great puzzle!
Glad you resisted the overcomplication! Thanks for solving
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Berto wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:13 pm Cat’s out! Very enjoyable after seemingly a few weeks of head scratchers. Thank you Wendy and Dr Tom!
Hopefully we have not gone from Head scratchers to furniture scratchers! I have a leather easy chair that resembles a cow that picked a fight with a lion, a tiger and a puma.

Thanks for solving
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Darth wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:33 pm Darn cat! Liberated and now hiding....
62ea79f944def-cat-nervous-hiding-under-sofa-rf.jpg
Oh. I know that trick. I have one cat I see only at feeding time, the rest of the time is spent under the bed.

Thanks for solving
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, I think Wendy and I are going to declare this a success!

1 Benchen71
2 Bird Lives
3 Schmeel
4 merlinnimue
5 Ergcat
6 Cindy Heisler
7 JM
8 rjy
9 boharr
10 DCBilly
11 ReB
12 DrButtbeard
13 Hector
14 ChrisKochmanski
15 Meg
16 Cindy Weatherman
17 ajk
18 Laura M
19 Heidi
20 BrennerTJ
21 MatthewL
22 woozy
23 KayW
24 Tom Wilson
25 Trypmom
26 Mwoychick
27 BarbaraK
28 Darth
29 SeamusOL
30 ImOnToo
31 Berto
32 SamKat9

Pretty good showing for Day 1, thanks to all our kitty releasers!

T and W
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Cat has left the bag. Very enjoyable grid and meta. Thanks, Wendy and Dr Tom !!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I second Dr. Tom's thanks to all of our solvers!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Too much work yesterday for metas, until the wee hours. Finished this morning… thanks for the fun! This one is OOTB. (As opposed to OTC.)
The other Wendy. :roll:
hoover

Post by hoover »

Cat is out of the bag and in my lap for his morning "human time."
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Great fun! The cat is out of the bag. Great conception on this puzzle. I love puzzles when you notice extra cleverness after the solve.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

lbray53 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:55 am Great fun! The cat is out of the bag. Great conception on this puzzle. I love puzzles when you notice extra cleverness after the solve.
Plus, we love it when people notice!! Of course I am hoping what you saw was designed cleverness as opposed to serendipitous cleverness (which happens).
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:41 am Too much work yesterday for metas, until the wee hours. Finished this morning… thanks for the fun! This one is OOTB. (As opposed to OTC.)
As opposed to Darth whose cat was OOTB but UTC!