67. The Outer Limits

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
MikeyG

67. The Outer Limits

Post by MikeyG »

PDF and PUZ

Crosshare

I can't just make up another space pun on the spot! I have to planet.

---

1. Puzzle #66 answer: WAY TO GO

Correct entries: 48

Thanks to @BrennerTJ for the graphic!

Shortest explanation: As hinted at by the explanation of ABBR, there are seven thoroughfare abbreviations hidden in across entries in the grid (LN, CIR, DR, RTE, ST, AVE, CT). These are the only instances of these seven, and I tried to limit myself to the most common ones, though things like BR, IS, UN, and TER crept in (hence the qualifier). If we head (first letter) out on (above) each of these seven entries, we spell out WAY TO GO, the meta answer, fitting since roads are definitely a way to go! (Inspired by Route 66 - I hope you get your kicks on these puzzles!)

---

2. Leaderboard:

---

3. This is the third Saturday in August, and we have an...interesting Week 3 for you this time around. If anything, it will likely clock up to Week 3.5 (or maybe even an early Week 4, eep!). But don't let that daunt you - be an intrepid puzzle solver and see if you can crack this conundrum! Thanks to @oldjudge for initial testing and feedback!

(Note that the "calculus" comment is irrelevant and not meta-related; those PDF quips never are! Just some math humor, even though my calculus puns are a bit derivative. Also, yes, it says I edited 3 times. Just tidying up pieces of the post, and I like any edits to occur at a multiple of 5 minutes since I'm weird that way, haha.)

Good luck, and may all your solves be beautiful!

67. The Outer Limits

The answer to the meta, an 11-letter adjective illustrated by the grid, is what I hope you find this puzzle to be.

Deadline is Saturday, August 26 at 1 pm ET.

Good luck, and may all your solves be beautiful!

Mikey G
Last edited by MikeyG on Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Really a great puzzle, Mikey--very creative.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :alien: :flying_saucer: Fantastic puzzle, Mikey - thanks!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Super clever, Mikey! And yes, I did find this puzzle to be [answer redacted]. :)
Meg

Post by Meg »

Amazing construction!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it. Thanks for the puzzle, Mikey.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Meg wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:08 pm Amazing construction!
This was probably one of the metas I've had the most fun creating!

Also, we've got 12 solvers so far, so I can breathe a sigh of relief it isn't impossible!

ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I needed help, but still very much enjoyed solving.

That was MikeyGREAT!!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Solved with a nudge. Very enjoyable. Thanks, Mikey!
Cindy Heisler
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I've noticed something but I'm still thinking about what to do with it... :?
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Joe

Post by Joe »

benchen71 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:17 pm I've noticed something but I'm still thinking about what to do with it... :?
Me too! I've definitely found step 1.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, that's it. I'm officially 0 for 7 this week.

Why is it that when you are most frustrated and need a win for a slight ego burst you are least likely to get? (Oh, don't actually answer that. It was rhetorical).

EDIT:

Okay, a night's rest and quit worrying about the dang WSJ (not going to get... I'm at peace with that) and and MGWCC (I ... well, I did something so it is no longer on my mind) and ... I can make sense of the metanism.... Now... it's word-play time. Don't have it but.... STEP 1: is truly an outstanding work of art.
Last edited by woozy on Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved, with encouragement and help from @MikeyG. A great puzzle!
Cynthia
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Solved, with a gentle nudge. Very clever puzzle!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I got it. It took me a while to make sense of what I was seeing. Thanks for the puzzle - good one!
Darth

Post by Darth »

There it is, darn thing! Got it! :mrgreen:
RCO001_1665369035.jpg
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Got it, but needed a couple of nudges from a very patient Muggle. Nice one, Mikey!
Matthew
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I do see a thing but I don't think I'm going to come up with the right 11-letter adjective to describe it!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

We have 25 solvers for this slightly harder-than-usual Week 3, and that's fine with me! But let's see if a couple of Monday nudges gets some people over the finish line!

1. There's a lot that's obviously "weird" about this grid, including two-letter entries, repeat words, and some very subpar fill. There's a reason for that, especially since the grid itself looks like it'd be pretty easy to fill!

2. Other titles floated around for this meta were "We're Surrounded!," "I Get Around," and "Don't Fence Me In!"

3. The meta is visual, so we have to realize something that's going on with the grid, and there is a piece of the 11-letter adjective that you might get first before getting the full thing.

Still keeping a bit of it deliberately opaque, but thanks so much for solving!

Berto

Post by Berto »

This was a bit of a slog for me, and even after getting the meta I needed a shove over the line. (Thankyou, @benchen71!) Looking forward to seeing the colourful solution graphic! Thanks Mikey! Now…Back to sleep!