MGWCC #794 — “I Guess That Counts”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Was it me, or was that a challenging grid? Quite a sense of accomplishment just doing that, and my post-fill google checking showed I had one wrong letter.

Last night right before going to sleep, I took one more look at the meta and saw a path to an answer, but wanted to wait and check something in the morning. Did that, and now I've requested beam up. With the next update, I'll find out if I'm on the ship or if the atoms of my streak are scattered across the galaxy. I thought about verifying with someone before submitting, but I reminded myself that I've said that after getting that pretty 100 week streak icon I would quit worrying about it, so solo solve it was.

There is one bit that seems a bit off, but, "I Guess That Counts" :)

Extra congrats to the four who solved before the amended instructions came out! Even seeing the metanism, I'm not sure I would have thought to apply it that way to get an answer.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
TMart

Post by TMart »

Beamed. Saw the mechanism but took a while to convince myself that the answer was correct.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Had some initial uncertainty with both this and WSJ. For both of them, however, the more I think about them, the more I like them.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:00 pm Was it me, or was that a challenging grid?
Challenging? We still can't complete it! :)
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Berto

Post by Berto »

Group solve for me. Only had a few minutes before an hour long drive to a soccer tournament. Got 99% of the way but not quite across the line - just as I’d finished filling up at the gas station and had to hand my phone over as a safe driving precaution! Waited an hour before I could finish and submit!
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

For some reason I never got Matt's email this week..... but maybe I was lucky. I did log onto his website and just printed the puzzle from there. Haven't started it yet. Count me unbeamed, on the couch,
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I have a defensible and apt answer for this one, but I'm wondering if there is something else to make it a 100%. I'll keep looking on and off throughout the day, and then maybe discuss on the Last Call zoom, assuming my power is still on! :)

ETA: And I have been beamed up. I couldn't see any other place for road signs or a better alternative than what I had, so I sent it in. Still planning to be on Isaac's Last Call.
Last edited by ZooAnimalsOnWheels on Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Awaiting transport, though I got help, and a confirmation of my submission. So once Scotty finishes lunch, I should be beamed aboard.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beamed with help. Can’t wait for the reveal and discussion.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Gad... the things I do to just to not break a 35+ week streak. I'm not proud of the grubbing for nudges that I had to do. Thanks Deb. But... this is a person whose name is *NOT* on my lips.

Sour grapes and .... I guess it's okay, but... well, there are others. But they miss a bit. ... But this is off. This feels like trying to stuff an overstuffed down comforter into a small suitcase...
lbray53 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:44 pm Beamed with help. Can’t wait for the reveal and discussion.
Me... I'm dreading it actually.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Thanks to the friendly Zoomers for getting me on the path. This would have been one of those "never in a million years" ones otherwise, and I've actually met the person in question.

I'd like to have a 10-week streak at this point... probably not doable for me anymore solo.
woozy

Post by woozy »

sharkicicles wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:32 pm ...
I'd like to have a 10-week streak at this point... probably not doable for me anymore solo.
The trouble with streaks is you find yourself doing terrible, terrible things just to maintain them.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

woozy wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:15 pm
sharkicicles wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:32 pm ...
The trouble with streaks is you find yourself doing terrible, terrible things just to maintain them.
I probably do enough terrible things anyway...
Joe

Post by Joe »

Haven't been beamed yet, but I got a confirmation that my answer is the correct one.

That was the hardest grid I've seen in a long long time. I don't think I could have completed it without Google (and I hate to Google when I'm just solving the grid).
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Needed some nudge and I don't like the answer. But beamed. I am still missing exactly how one is supposed to derive the answer metanistically. Looking forward to Joon or Matt's debrief.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Lots of rabbit holes and discord discussion... found my way to an answer, which - while not yet beamed - has a clever easter egg to confirm it.
Ray
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

rjy wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:01 pm Lots of rabbit holes and discord discussion... found my way to an answer, which - while not yet beamed - has a clever easter egg to confirm it.
I just went back to the grid and saw it. Clever!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Agree grid challenging but got that done. Meta? Not a chance. KAS5
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Nope. Even with a nudge never would have gotten this. Streak is gone but now I start again with a clean slate.
Heidi
Joe

Post by Joe »

rjy wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:01 pm has a clever easter egg to confirm it.
I think I see what you're talking about. That is nice.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.