"Tie Game" August 18, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Cindy N wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:28 pm Yep, it is I! It's me! I received the email first thing yesterday morning and promptly replied. Today I received another email to "make sure" since they hadn't gotten my reply. Panic mode! But all resolved now.
Woo hoo! Another muggle mug winner! Congratulations!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Andrew Bradburn wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:02 pm
BethA wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:10 am My contest answer is OPTION. Taking the four answers which include the title word GAME in their clues, CONNECT FOUR games by noting that OLE can be CUT OUT of WORDLE. Another GAME in the grid is PIT. Just as OLE is to WORDLE, so PIT is to OPTION, another GAME found in the clue for 28 Across.

Oh well, MikeS gets his first point of the year! MikeS: 1, MattG: 1, BethA: 31.

Until Thursday… ✌🏻
I wonder how many people remember the game Pit? I have seen a lot of references to the game Othello, but almost none to Pit, which I saw as well. Haven't played it in probably forty years. I remember it as a very loud game, as people are all talking over each other with trade offers.

Four appearances of the word GAME in the clues?
Four games as entries?
In a puzzle whose central entry is CONNECT FOUR and title is TIE GAME?
If Mike didn't plan this on purpose, his unconscious mind has a devious sense of humor!
I know we had a copy of Pit when I was a kid. But we didn't care for it too much. Instead we played...
PXL_20230824_000119988_exported_0_1692835316807.jpg
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
woozy

Post by woozy »

I played pit at one of my game nights about five years ago. And we played it a lot in elementary school which was .... more than five years ago. Someone mentioned the four games as including Ochre which... I've seen it spelled that way now and then but I still think it should be spelled Euchre.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

Cindy N wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:28 pm Yep, it is I! It's me! I received the email first thing yesterday morning and promptly replied. Today I received another email to "make sure" since they hadn't gotten my reply. Panic mode! But all resolved now.
Hi Cindy and congratulations!
For some reason your confirmation email with the address for your mug didn't reach us. Can you resend to crosswordcontest@wsj.com and copy me at mike.miller@wsj.com. Thanks!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Sorry, missed this yesterday. Sent now!