"Spot The Vikings" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

SJMcK wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:39 pm Did not enjoy the cluing in this one
Stream of consciousness is not everyone's cup of tea, I guess. ;)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

I spent some time splashing around in the moat, but finally found my way up and across. Thanks, Ben!
Cindy Heisler
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Tried to spot members of 4 different groups before a kindly muggle suggested a fifth one. Crossed the MOAT; thanks, Ben!
Cynthia
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

A solver update before I release early nudges. (My usual time for releasing them is just after the WSJ release, and since these have been serious time-killers recently, it tends to make me forget about MOAT!)

Dow Jones
MatthewL
ChrisCross
Cindy Heisler
CPJohnson

That's 34 so far. Let's see if nudges shake anyone loose...
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There is no hint in the (very chatty) clues or the grid so the puzzle title is all you have to go on.

2. You have to interpret part of the puzzle title as Roman numerals.

3. There are VI (six) KINGS hiding in the grid.

4. Three of the kings are English, two are in the Bible, and one is Egyptian.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Moat dog-paddled, castle gently knocked upon. Needed nudge 4 for a mental reset, was already on the path of the first three, just a bit askew. Enjoyed the relaxed cluing!
Ray
ReB

Post by ReB »

Needed a rope to pull me out but I'm across the moat. Very SAD.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

A hunch I had, thankfully, turned out to be correct! MOAT stormed!

Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
ajk

Post by ajk »

Finally got it with all the nudges. Very fun stuff, and not the puzzle's fault that I was being dense. :) Thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
hoover

Post by hoover »

Crossed the moat!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

This was not in my wheelhouse! Had to google for a few. But the moat has been crossed! Thanks Ben!
Heidi
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Nudges confirmed one of my paths, but it still took me longer than it should have to cross the moat. I always enjoy Ben's metas.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

MOAT finally crossed. Good one, Ben!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the penultimate solver update. Remember, if you want to be in the running to win your very own copy of the MOAT Music Meta Pack, you have to get your solve in on Crosshare!

rjy
SeamusOL
ReB
Pair O Ducks
DrButtBeard
Mikey G
ajk
hoover
Katiedid
Tom Wilson
heidi
DCBilly
Jaclyn
Rufus T Firefly
Abide
Spid4567
kurtalert
MrTheHan
Capn Rick

That brings us up to 53. Last update before the answer reveal / prize announcement, Monday morning Australian time.

Go Matildas! They're playing off for the bronze in the World Cup in about 4 hours time...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Just one solver to add, giving us a grand total of 54:

Mr Tex

Answer (and contest winner!) reveal very soon...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the answer to "Spot The Vikings":

Spot The Vikings (solution).png

And the winner of the MOAT Music Meta Pack is... @KayW! Since Kay has already purchased the pack, she gets to nominate someone to receive her prize! :D
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

KayW asked for a redraw, and the second winner was... @SJMcK! Your puzzle pack should be in your inbox now! (If not, check your spam folder.)
KayW

Post by KayW »

As I mentioned to Ben: 1. There are too many kind deserving muggles here for me to pick just one and 2. Getting to solve all these fantastic puzzles week after week is prize enough for me 🙂
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

benchen71 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:10 pm
SJMcK wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:39 pm Did not enjoy the cluing in this one
Stream of consciousness is not everyone's cup of tea, I guess. ;)
At first I was confused by the verbiage and thought maybe this was a MikeyG puzzle, lol! But I enjoyed Benchen71's use of internal dialog being put down on paper. (It's great therapy for everyone!)
Seattle DB