Look Both Ways

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Lurking around here waiting for a posted nudge. A nudge other than the ones in the puzzle itself. ( :
The other Wendy. :roll:
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

OTC
-- after getting my mechanism approach verified, and having it suggested to me that a submission that would be accepted was, ahem perhaps an expression that a younger generation would more readily use. :P

@rjy I like your naming of our constructor! - - Ducks! -- It's got that Mrs. Doubtfire/Brit vibe.

In honor of that, I'll sign off with advice from our London friends --
Untitledzzlondon.png
Thanks for the puzzle!
Last edited by whimsy on Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

HeadinHome wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:10 am Lurking around here waiting for a posted nudge. A nudge other than the ones in the puzzle itself. ( :
Same. I'm looking both ways (and several others) and still firmly embedded in the couch.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

20 solvers from day 1:

EdBogie (TS)
Abide (TS)
merlinnimue
Meg
benchen71
Hector
Darth
boharr
DrTom
damefox
rjy
Schmeel
lbray53
Bird Lives
Wendy Walker
Laura M
imontoo
Berto
I K Snamhcok
whimsy
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

This one seems to be playing tougher than expected! How about a couple early nudges?

1. The meta prompt may have been cleaner without the specification "10-letters" -- and I've set up Crosshare to accept some other permutations of the answer.

2. Most solvers seem to have easily found what to add: where specifically did you add those things?
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Off the couch, with an enormous shove from a friendly Muggle. Would never have gotten there on my own.
Matthew
markhr

Post by markhr »

Nope, still lost. Not even close.
Maybe some Wednesday nudges might help..
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Off the couch with a bit of help!!
Cindy Heisler
KayW

Post by KayW »

Apparently I am not "most solvers". I think I'll need to wait for "nudge zero" :lol:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Finally got it without nudges but not before making a couple wild guesses yesterday and one more whiff today after I found the right path. OTC now and thanks for the puzzle, @schmidzy
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

KayW wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:43 pm Apparently I am not "most solvers". I think I'll need to wait for "nudge zero" :lol:
I promise I'll have some nudgier nudges tomorrow!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Geez, I must be overthinking…🤔. But I really enjoy these metas!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
ajk

Post by ajk »

Solved (kinda) after being nudged about a characteristic of the answer. But still don't see the 10 letter version, so I think I should only get half credit. :lol: :lol:

ETA: and of course right after posting that now I get the 10-letter one (I think) :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Nine more solvers on day 2:

hoover
MatthewL
Cindy Heisler
THC
Mwoychick
Philip Chow
ajk
BrennerTJ
Rufus T Firefly
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

And now for some more comprehensive nudges:

1. What body part, and a useful one for puns and wordplay, is suggested by the title?

2. Where might you add that, as suggested by 39A?

3. The meta answer is a phrase suggested by the location of the added things.

And a big shove off the couch:

3b. In case you're unfamiliar with the phrase, you can google for "to give someone the [singular synonym for 39A] [body part]"
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Was shoved off the couch. Wonderful puzzle. Thanks for the challenge. :).
woozy

Post by woozy »

schmidzy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:29 am :

3b. In case you're unfamiliar with the phrase, you can google for "to give someone the [singular synonym for 39A] [body part]"
Oh, I made the assumption that the answer was a ten letter word even though there was no such stipulation. And that completely thwarted me. Entirely my fault. But it totally threw me.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

woozy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:33 am
Oh, I made the assumption that the answer was a ten letter word even though there was no such stipulation. And that completely thwarted me. Entirely my fault. But it totally threw me.
If I had a dollar for every time I've done the same darn thing, I'd have a lot of dollars!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Finally got it; needed all the nudges and a helpful suggestion from another muggle. I was not familiar with the term. But thanks for the puzzle!
Cynthia
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I'm another one shoved off the couch. Congrats to those of you who got it without hints. From the first hints, I spent a good amount of time knowing basically what I had to do, but still couldn't come up with the right answer.