Look Both Ways

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Wanted the answer to be plural, so my letter count was not working out! Got it now.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

OTC with the nudges and ignoring the “10-letter” prompt!
Thanks for a great puzzle!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

OTC after a big smack up side the head with a 2x4-sized nudge
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I was almost 100% sure my first 10-letter thought would've been correct, but no dice! I do see a tiny nit with my answer even so, so I'll keep chewing (like Ginger on catnip)!

Love the cluing!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
markhr

Post by markhr »

I stubbornly held off submitting until I got what I felt was the intended 10-letter answer. It finally occurred to me this afternoon.
It's fair to say I overthought this, as usual. An interesting change-of-pace puzzle from schmidzy.
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Had the mechanism but needed the nudges to help me find the right expression. Thanks for the meta!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :couch_and_lamp: Nudged off the couch. I was looking all ways but the right way :lol: Thanks!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Off the couch. Finally got all my 🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆! Enjoyed this one!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

I gave up on the WSJ for now and went back and refocused on @schmidzy's MMM. Finally off the couch with nudges. Very nice idea and execution!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Puzzle reveal coming soon! In the meantime, lots more solvers to report since Wednesday (if my count is correct, I think that brings us up to 64 solves):

DCBilly
minimuggle
woozy
CPJohnson
Eric Porter
DIS
heidi
Katiedid
Anita and Steve
JM
Chris Barbee
HeadinHome
bhamren
Johnny Luau
Sharkicicles
david
Ergcat
kymike
Mikey G
edestlin
SeamusOL
markhr
michaelm
KayW
Dow Jones
Qmark
BarbaraK
DrButtBeard
Tom Wilson
Jaclyn
Capn Rick
Abide
PuzNewbie
Tane
Streroto
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

And as promised, the reveal:
Screenshot (88).png

And for the curious, Merriam Webster has a fascinating short read on the history of "the side eye," including references dating as far back as 1797 (and, for the literary-inclined, an appearance in James Joyce's Ulysses!) You can read it here: https://www.merriam-webster.com/wordpla ... g-side-eye. I know this one played a little more towards the younger crowd, so thank you everyone for bearing with me this week and I hope you enjoyed the challenge. Until next time,

Pair-O-Ducks
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

I'm still laughing over the "Pokey Bowl" clue! And the killer whale - Spanish island "My Orca" is over the top too!
Seattle DB
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

MikeyG wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:24 pm I was almost 100% sure my first 10-letter thought would've been correct, but no dice! I do see a tiny nit with my answer even so, so I'll keep chewing (like Ginger on catnip)!

Love the cluing!
Hey Mikey - did you give "Pair O Ducks" some hints on punny cluing? It sure seems like it, and I love it!
Seattle DB
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

dsbened wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:12 pm
MikeyG wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:24 pm I was almost 100% sure my first 10-letter thought would've been correct, but no dice! I do see a tiny nit with my answer even so, so I'll keep chewing (like Ginger on catnip)!

Love the cluing!
Hey Mikey - did you give "Pair O Ducks" some hints on punny cluing? It sure seems like it, and I love it!
I did not, but @schmidzy was speaking my language with this one!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

MikeyG wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:38 pm
dsbened wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:12 pm

Love the cluing!
I did not, but @schmidzy was speaking my language with this one!
I think that's just about the highest praise I could ever receive!