MGWCC #793 — "Consider the Alternative"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
eckmania

Post by eckmania »

A new favorite! Great aha moment, and a true week 2, IMO.

Edit/rephrase- the intended mechanism is a true week 2, IMO. There are a few oh-so-tempting dead ends, though.
Last edited by eckmania on Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Berto

Post by Berto »

Submitted, awaiting beam - but have been reassured that I’ll be transporting to the correct destination and not an Alternative…
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Beaming.

Whiskey GIF by GitHub.gif

Meg wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:26 pm Beamed, but I have a serious question which I hope Matt will answer next week.
Comment with submission:
Clue for 59A should be changed to "Et ___ (and other thingses')"
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Thanks Berto, beaming

59A clue: Hawaiian chief
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Beamed up! This one reminded me of a Pandora's Blocks puzzle I really liked (I won't say which one)... although this one was MUCH easier!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I've beamed up, and I've also got something I don't quite understand, though it may be just that I didn't solve in exactly the intended way.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
rjy

Post by rjy »

woozy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:10 pm Oh, please tell me he's not doing what I think he's doing...
I think there's more than one solving path for this one, so I'll be curious to read people's experiences.

If he's doing what I think he's doing there's at least a couple hundred (and I'm not exaggerating) dead ends. Please tell me he's not doing with I'm almost certain he is doing.
Awaiting beamage, so I can’t confidently answer your question.But I feel like I did a legit Week 3 solve on a legit Week 2 puzzle… will be an interesting post-game discussion

[Edited] Beamed up… so I can answer your question, but probably better via PM… let me know
Ray
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Well that was… odd. What the what?? I think I had the same question/objection as @Meg. And I want my wasted hour back! I could have gotten to the solve very quickly but for the very shiny “keep going” trail markers. A week 2 unless you fell for this trick and couldn’t get the seeming second step to take you anywhere good, no matter how many times you checked and rechecked the math. Grrrr
The other Wendy. :roll:
woozy

Post by woozy »

Okay, I was prepared to hate it when I figured out what the nudge I was given (a slam to the head with a two by four) but when I figured what it meant I had to admit it was excellent word play so.... got to like it.

... but....

no-way was that a two. I definite 4 although it could be slid into a 3. ... and... the final answer itself was slightly anticlimactic... just slightly.

A good meta although I'm grumbling as I'd never have gotten it on my own. I should have but I wouldn't have.

Now back to the #@!$ WSJ.....
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam... [nice aha moment, but before that :? ]

... and I'm beamed! :D
Last edited by benchen71 on Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Looked and looked and looked and looked and came up with a mechanism that was wrong BUT led me to the right path. Beamed and beaming. Now back to the WSJ struggle.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Beam me up! Fun one!
Heidi
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:15 pm Well that was… odd. What the what?? I think I had the same question/objection as @Meg. And I want my wasted hour back! I could have gotten to the solve very quickly but for the very shiny “keep going” trail markers. A week 2 unless you fell for this trick and couldn’t get the seeming second step to take you anywhere good, no matter how many times you checked and rechecked the math. Grrrr
@HeadinHome I totally agree and had to get confirmation from @Wendy Walker that what @MaineMarge came up with was really the answer. There will be a lot of comments on The Fiend and here on Tuesday
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Awaiting sure confirmation.
My comment to Matt was, like @HeadinHome’s Grrr
Joe

Post by Joe »

DrTom wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:40 pm Looked and looked and looked and looked and came up with a mechanism that was wrong BUT led me to the right path. Beamed and beaming. Now back to the WSJ struggle.
Same. I'm sure I'm missing something, but I got there.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:15 pm Well that was… odd. What the what?? I think I had the same question/objection as @Meg. And I want my wasted hour back! I could have gotten to the solve very quickly but for the very shiny “keep going” trail markers. A week 2 unless you fell for this trick and couldn’t get the seeming second step to take you anywhere good, no matter how many times you checked and rechecked the math. Grrrr
I found this one very frustrating. I had the main part of the metanism pretty quickly, then wasted WAY too much time trying to derive an appropriate answer (I did find an inappropriate one) from what I thought clearly should have been the final step. I only solved it in the end by forcing myself to abandon the conviction “but it wouldn’t make any sense to….”
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

After a few dead ends yesterday, I saw the light this morning - submitted and waiting for the beam up.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

@HeadinHome, @woozy, @Bob cruise director, @Leslie, and others (not mentioning 59A), I'm curious what alternative paths you speak of. I must have lucked out by finding the mechanism quickly and the answer pretty much immediately after. So I look forward to hearing about the misleading "trick" (HeadinHome) I overlooked. Almost (but not quite) sorry I missed it!

Awaiting transporter beam.
burak

Post by burak »

I saw Step 1, I did everything you do with that in a Gaffney puzzle, and I have an eight-letter gibberish in my hands? What?

And as I was typing it I figured it out. Ditto the sentiments above, I don't know if I like it or not. I guess it had to be done this way, but it feels quite unrewarding in the end.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

HunterX wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:02 pm @HeadinHome, @woozy, @Bob cruise director, @Leslie, and others (not mentioning 59A), I'm curious what alternative paths you speak of. I must have lucked out by finding the mechanism quickly and the answer pretty much immediately after. So I look forward to hearing about the misleading "trick" (HeadinHome) I overlooked. Almost (but not quite) sorry I missed it!

Awaiting transporter beam.
I sent a PM to you, @HeadinHome , @woozy, @Leslie @Meg and @Wendy Walker explaining the issue. It will not be public until after the MGWCC closes on Tuesday but if anyone wants to talk either send me a PM or we can set up a zoom call to discuss this.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director