"Think Different" August 11, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Aragorn wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:36 am Not sour grapes, but I wasn't a big fan of this one. I think discovering the meta should be an "aha" moment where the theme makes sense and everything falls into place, but I'm not really seeing "Think Different" in the solution in any unique way. Yes, the solution requires discovering that the theme clues can be turned into opposites, but "different" and "opposite" are not the same thing.
I hear you. And yes, "different" isn't the same as "opposite." I guess "opposite" is about as "different" as you can get, though. The former is a subset of the latter.

I initially thought the title not helpful enough. (And I guess since it didn't help me understand until after I solved, it wasn't for me.) But as others have pointed out:
ship4u wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:05 am <<snip>>
Back in the 1990's, Apple had a very successful ad campaign with the slogan "Think Different." Steve Jobs wanted a take off on IBM's slogan "Think" and he wanted "Different" to be considered a noun.
HeadinHome wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:14 pm <<snip>>
I read that as "Think along the lines of "different," since I know very well that our constructors and editors know that you'd have to add -ly to make "different" an adverb (as @mikeB also pointed out). So not "think differently" but think about words pairs that are different (from each other?).
Yes, Jobs wanted the slogan read similar to "Think: 'Victory!'" or "Think: 'Beauty'." I found that helpful to understanding how the title fit.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

While it was true that the pairs were all opposites (Or if you will, Completely Different), it was the "Different" in the title that got me there. As I said earlier that I was looking at the 3-letter answers in the grid while trying to apply them to the starred entries. It was while I was looking at NDA and RIGHTWAY that the phrase "Different as night and day" came to mind, giving me the inroad I needed.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
ksbfl

Post by ksbfl »

I counted 228 going back to ale 11/20/16. I think 2 or 3 were wrong though.
zach

Post by zach »

MMe wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:56 pm
Marika55 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:23 pm Holy guacamole I won the mug!

I was at Friday's zoom and left quickly after getting a nudge.
Understanding that this is controversial, I think ideally the mugs should go to people who have solved the puzzles
I’m not 100% clear on what is meant here by “mugs should go to people who have solved the puzzle” but I’m guessing that since this was the first time Marika has posted here, perhaps she wasn’t aware of the etiquette that people generally don’t submit if a nudge has been received. I get that it’s a personal decision, so maybe she did know. I’m not a fan of submitting when you’ve had help, but I withhold judgment on this. To each his/her own. I am envious, however, that she won the mug with such good odds for all of us submitters, nudged or unnudged 😂.
steveb

Post by steveb »

Cruciverbalisticexpi wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:20 pm Dang it! Thought I'd finally get a shot at the mug this week since I knew the success rate would be low. That's probably at least 100 to 150 correct submissions with no luck on the mug. Anyone have a longer streak going? Let's commiserate, lol.
I'm closing in on 300 correct submissions with no mug.

That's 300 non-consecutive correct submissions; I think my longest streak is 27. After this puzzle, my current streak is 0. :(
Kas

Post by Kas »

Bah, I say! (But in awe of the solvers this week...I was overrun by rabbits, rabbits everywhere...)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MMe wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:56 pm
Marika55 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:23 pm Holy guacamole I won the mug!

I was at Friday's zoom and left quickly after getting a nudge.
Understanding that this is controversial, I think ideally the mugs should go to people who have solved the puzzles
To be honest, I don't even think about the mug anymore. Getting it is not really a function of ability or consistency (as illustrated). It is far more fun and rewarding to simply solve, and more's the better if you have friends that you can rely on to assist you. THAT is the magic of the meta, the camaraderie not the mug. Going through the forum, laughing at what some have put up or learning from what others have said is where the value of this process lies for me. Yes I want to solve, and certainly I feel more clever if I have done it alone, but I still got a rush from the Think Different when it all became clear, and I had a friend to thank for that...no mug can compare to that.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

CONGRATULATIONS, @Marika55 !! Great to see a Zoomer win!!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

Stages of Grief

Shock: I got the answer but I didn't get a mug?
Denial: Mike Miller must have the day off today.
Anger: I ruined my weekend for this?!?!??
Bargaining: Let me check my Spam folder again.
Depression: No more. I am so done with this.
Acceptance: Where do I get one of those "WSJ Crossword Contest Participation Trophy" mugs?
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

Mister Squawk wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:59 am Stages of Grief

Shock: I got the answer but I didn't get a mug?
Denial: Mike Miller must have the day off today.
Anger: I ruined my weekend for this?!?!??
Bargaining: Let me check my Spam folder again.
Depression: No more. I am so done with this.
Acceptance: Where do I get one of those "WSJ Crossword Contest Participation Trophy" mugs?
This is so perfect.
🌴🍹