"Think Different" August 11, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
cheekumbaldy

Post by cheekumbaldy »

On shore with a strong shove in the right direction.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

Jace54 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:22 am Does anyone else have troubles responding to a private message? I have tried twice to respond to someone’s nudge request but my responses are stuck in the outbox and apparently are not sent.
I think when a message shows as being in the outbox it just means the other person hasn't read it yet.

Edit: viewtopic.php?t=227
Last edited by Aragorn on Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hanging with Issac

Stumped again
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

Nationofislam wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:52 am Is there any resource online to get a nudge to solving this? All my trains of thought have been exhausted. Still new to these but desperately want to understand!
viewtopic.php?t=49
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

No clue
lisajoy

Post by lisajoy »

hmmm. it's a little bit like fishing v catching this week for me. feel like I am close, but maybe I am very far. will try to make last call zoom, otherwise calling it and having last round on board with Isaac tonight.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

For the record, @Bob cruise director, I'll be staying on the ship this weekend. I haven't devoted a lot of time to this one because Mr. Hidden and I have been working to clean up the damage from a thunderstorm that occurred this past Monday afternoon. We had two trees go down, both of which were close to the lake. Below you can see the fallen sweet gum tree which was at least 80 feet tall. Even though we still have lots more to do to get everything cleaned up, we feel very fortunate, because it could have been so much worse.
Tree Damage 08.07.23.jpg
Sara
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

On shore. Glass of Chateau de Finally! in hand.

Gave in and accepted a nudge. (Actually got two very similar ones.) It still took some head scratching. But once I got going (and I'll be curious to hear what people saw first that gave them the necessary concept), then it was... well... still tough to bring it home.

But it was certainly fun after I got, shall we say, "the first one."

I agree with those who said that the title wasn't helpful. I might amend that to say it wasn't helpful enough. At least not for me.
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

This NC Tar Heel is on shore (Thanks to a nudge)!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:07 pm For the record, @Bob cruise director, I'll be staying on the ship this weekend. I haven't devoted a lot of time to this one because Mr. Hidden and I have been working to clean up the damage from a thunderstorm that occurred this past Monday afternoon. We had two trees go down, both of which were close to the lake. Below you can see the fallen sweet gum tree which was at least 80 feet tall. Even though we still have lots more to do to get everything cleaned up, we feel very fortunate, because it could have been so much worse.

Tree Damage 08.07.23.jpg
I feel your pain. Here at our place in the mountains we've had a number of trees come down. Not quite as big as that one. But big enough. Unfortunately for us, this area has a ton of Beech trees. And they are all affected by one or both of two blights. They expect them all to die within 7 years. I've lost enough, and close enough to the house, that I just got approval to have 37 removed. I'd rather they come down now, safely, so I can replant, than wait for something to hit the house in the middle of the night.

I already have enough firewood for a couple of winters after last year's "harvest." I expect to be offering free firewood to anyone who wants it after this culling.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

IMG_0359.jpeg
Spending a few days in Jackson Hole. Spent nearly all of flight out in so many rabbit holes I can’t begin to describe. I’m throwing in the towel. Kudos to all who got it and especially the solo solvers.
ScottOBX

Post by ScottOBX »

Alright, I give! Are any friendly neighborhood nudges available?
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Thanks, Last Call! That was tough but fun!
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Stuck at sea, yet again.
Trish

Post by Trish »

Oh boy what a puzzle! Have a new trick to add to my arsenal! Thanks zoom muggles, you are great fun!
FloridaMan81

Post by FloridaMan81 »

Count me as hopelessly stuck on the ship Cruise Director, if you’ll please.

Man, these metas can sure humble you quickly. After 4+ months of solo solving without a miss, I’ve now missed 3 of the last 4 puzzles.

Gotta stay up til midnight now to see if I was even close to the right path. 😔
Ann

Post by Ann »

Hoo boy!
Once again, pulled to the shore by the brilliant child.
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Ashore! Loved this one!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

I had the right starting point, but needed Last Call to adjust my focus. Ashore!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles

Our final count is 40 on the ship and 104 on the shore.

Those submitting will have better odds of winning the mug. Good luck
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director