Connections daily puzzle (nytimes)

A place to discuss regular (non-meta) crossword puzzles.
mkmf

Connections daily puzzle (nytimes)

Post by mkmf »

Is anyone playing "Connections" at nytimes.com? It's a beta version only available through your browser, NOT on the NYT app. I was introduced to it 3 days ago. I think it is available to everyone.

You are given 16 words and have to group them into four groups of words each connected by some theme. Some words will fit more than one theme, so you have to take care. There is only one set of groups that works cleanly for all 16 words.

The themes range can be tricky. The other day I was left with a group of four that I couldn't understand at first. But then saying them out loud, I realized the clever connection. It's that type of thing that makes me think that Meta solvers might enjoy this puzzle too.

Connections
Puzzle #60
🟦🟦🟦🟦
πŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺ
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟨
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

This has become one of my favorite puzzles.

I see you did what I often do - found the supposedly harder sets before the easier ones.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Thanks @mkmf! Just tried it for the first time with good results!
(Kinda reminds me of this week's MEOW. :P )
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Connections
Puzzle #61
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟦🟦🟦🟦
πŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺ

I am not going to make it a habit to post here on a daily basis.
But I've just been so starved for colors besides wordle green and yellow, that I wanted to do it once! :P
Untitledzzgreen flash.png
Meg

Post by Meg »

I added it to my morning puzzle routine. I really love the colors and the challenge of dealing with 5 members of a group. Which one is also something else? I hope it stays.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ajk

Post by ajk »

BarbaraK wrote: ↑Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:01 pm I see you did what I often do - found the supposedly harder sets before the easier ones.
Have been playing this since puzzle #3, and my version of the game includes trying to guess the groups in the right order. Sadly, NYT often gets the order wrong. :lol: :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
KayW

Post by KayW »

Finally got around to playing this today- thanks so much for sharing! I have bookmarked the page.
Connections
Puzzle #62
🟦🟦🟦🟦
🟩🟩🟩🟩
πŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺ
🟨🟨🟨🟨
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

I play but only saw this thread today.
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Boy, today's puzzle was really hard for me. I got the first two categories, then I had to think long and hard to divide up the final 8 words.

Has everyone noticed that Connections is no longer considered "beta"? We're pleased. We're also glad that they are not tracking scores. That means that my husband and I can each keep playing separately everyday.

Connections
Puzzle #73
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩
πŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺ
🟦🟦🟦🟦
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Just noticed this thread. I’ve been playing this since it was in beta, now on the app. Some of the groups are definitely head-scratchers!
KayW

Post by KayW »

I've been playing this game since first alerted to it here (thanks again, @mkmf!)

Connections
Puzzle #125
πŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺ
🟦🟦🟦🟦
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟨

Today, quite unintentionally, I ended up solving in what they deemed hardest to easiest order.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

NYT copied this wholesale from the BBC game show "Only Connect." It's one of the segments on the show. The others also require you to figure out how four things are connected. It requires same kind of thinking as solving metas. You can find it on YouTube. (I suspect that the show's creators wanted to call it Connect Four, but that was already taken, so they settled for a more obscure reference -- E.M. Forster's Howard's End.)
Jay
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

JRS51 wrote: ↑Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:49 am Just noticed this thread. I’ve been playing this since it was in beta, now on the app. Some of the groups are definitely head-scratchers!
Sometimes I end up playing "backwards" -- I'm left with the last four words and having to figure out the connection -- even then I've missed a few and had to rely on the final reveal. Funny to have been told "Perfect" in those cases! Feel like a bit of a fraud. :lol:
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

whimsy wrote: ↑Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:09 am
JRS51 wrote: ↑Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:49 am Just noticed this thread. I’ve been playing this since it was in beta, now on the app. Some of the groups are definitely head-scratchers!
Sometimes I end up playing "backwards" -- I'm left with the last four words and having to figure out the connection -- even then I've missed a few and had to rely on the final reveal. Funny to have been told "Perfect" in those cases! Feel like a bit of a fraud. :lol:
100% agree!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

whimsy wrote: ↑Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:09 am
On "Only Connect," you get points (2, I think) for each correct group but also one point (I think) for identifying the element that links them.

I too have gotten a correct fourth line with no idea why, and then Connections informs me that they are all the actual surnames of rappers (like Jay Z or Lil Kim) or something like that.
Jay
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

My husband and I have been playing this for several weeks now and really enjoying it! At the breakfast table every morning we do Wordle, Connections, and (on weekdays) J!6 on the Jeopardy! website and the preview of the day's final Jeopardy! at The Jeopardy! Fan.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Connections
Puzzle #159
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟦🟦🟦🟦
πŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺ
Barney

Post by Barney »

Connections
Puzzle #160