"Help!" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
ReB

Post by ReB »

MOAT crossed without needing HELP! this week.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

There's still an hour or so to go before the end of the first 24 hours, but here's the list of successful solvers:

SeamusOL
Dow Jones
Pair O Ducks
markhr
merlinnimue
Cindy Weatherman
Ergcat
lbray53
Darth
Tom Wilson
Hector
boharr
kymike
DCBilly
Meg
JM
MrTheHan
hoover
Schmeel
Alex Sisti
rjy
MatthewL
Tyrpmom
I K Snamhcok
Carolyn
woozy
DrButtBeard
DrTom
Johnny Luau
rayyandroid
LindaPRmaven
Jaclyn
Katiedid
Bird Lives
ajk
whimsy
emmie
Madhatter5
Kent
imontoo
CPJohnson
kurtalert
frostyjhammer
Laura M
DIS
damefox
Streroto
ChrisCross
SJMcK
Qmark
heidi
Berto
Gutman
JHSeeman
ReB

Zounds! That's 55!! That's the same as all of the solvers from the whole of last week!!!

And I can report that in that time 6 people have purchased the MOAT Music Meta Pack. If you want to be involved in solving and commenting while it's all still fresh and exciting, then place your order now! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Moat crossed. Would have been sooner if I hadn't kept overlooking one thing. Thanks, Ben!
Cindy Heisler
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Woo hoo! More solvers!!

DebbieC
Spid4567
Sharkicicles
Sendhil Revuluri
BarbaraK
GR
Cindy Heisler
Abide

We're up to 63 now.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Ok, I’m going to do an unsolicited testimonial. I got Ben’s Music Meta MOATS and they are a LOT of fun even for this non-musical type. Great return for the investment!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

3 more solvers, bringing us to 66:

Darrel
Mr Tex
Larry Edelstein

Seems I forgot to do the nudges whilst struggling and failing with the WSJ, so here they come...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. 54 across provides you with the meta hint. But something isn't quite right.

2. Six across entries (including 54 across) have been overwhelmed by some down entries, causing them to call out for help.

3. Respond to the SOS calls. Help those poor across entries!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: Scanning these pages this morning, I realized I started the puzzle earlier but never even finished the grid. I finally got back to work and finished the job. Nice one, Ben - thanks!

I also purchased your latest puzzle pack but haven't started on those yet, either. I'm really slacking off these days!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Two more solvers, bringing us to 68:

KayW
dam123@charter.net

Next (and last) update before the answer reveal Monday morning, Australia time.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

benchen71 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:58 pm Two more solvers, bringing us to 68:

KayW
dam123@charter.net

Next (and last) update before the answer reveal Monday morning, Australia time.
I'm already doing time zone math as we speak, haha.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And MikeyG made it, bringing us to a grand total of 69:

MikeyG

Answer very soon...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Help!":

Help! (solution).png

Don't forget the MOAT Music Meta Pack. Lots of fun for meta solvers of all ages! :D
rjy

Post by rjy »

So’s I totally missed the SOS angle, I got the answer merely by realizing O’s were substituted for the correct letters. This was more clever than I realized it was… kudos, Ben!
Ray