"Bread Boxes"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

rjy wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:16 pm
HeadinHome wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:15 pm I’ll take a nudge… thought I had the trail twice, but dead ends
Same! Two unfruitful rabbit-holes, and given Emma thought it was a week 4, I hit the pause button. Restarting the hunt…

Oh! And an unsolicited PSA for Emma’s benefit: hers and Will’s podcast conversation with the esteemed MikeyG was a very cool listen. There’s quite the handful of IQ pts in that trio!
Me 3 -- thought I had the metanism a couple of times, but can't make it work.
Matthew
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Great puzzle! I was a little daunted by the repeating clue for some reason, but it all worked out nicely in the end. Well done! (Yeah, solid Level 2.5 or 3, I'd say!)

Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Finally off the couch, with a little help from a friendly Muggle who let me know I was on the right track and to keep looking. Tricky one. To me, at least, definitely harder than a 2.5. Thanks for the challenge!
Matthew
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Thanks, @MatthewL … that makes me feel less brainless. 2.5??
The other Wendy. :roll:
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

was down a path...beating head against wall saying to myself this has to be it....friendly nudge and poof answer appears.

Neat Meta/puzzle, Thanks
damefox

Post by damefox »

Tuesday evening leaderboard update:

23. benchen71 (via PM on Forum)
24. Katiedid
25. Eric Porter
26. SJMcK
27. Philip Chow
28. Ergcat
29. Mikey G
30. MatthewL
31. david
32. JHSeeman

A week 2.5, a week 3, or a week 4? Who can say at this point? Probably the number of solvers is the best metric - @Abide, do you keep track of that? 32 solvers by Tuesday evening is a week...?
Abide

Post by Abide »

[checks spreadsheets]
[runs metric calculations]

Looks like a 3.14
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Abide wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:37 pm [checks spreadsheets]
[runs metric calculations]

Looks like a 3.14
So it's as easy as pi?
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Abide

Post by Abide »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:32 pm
So it's as easy as pi?
yes, a mincemeat pie
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I’m off the couch after a little help from the Tuesday Zoom crew. Very nice!

And I listened to and enjoyed your podcast today too
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

A rye comment in the Zoom room showed the way; without that, I was a naan-starter. As my son used to say, "Boy, is papadum."
Jay
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Off the couch! Found quite a few different ways to approach the puzzle until I was steered into a different direction, even though I was close. Nice one Emma!
Heidi
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

OTC to get me some
IMG_1528.jpeg
Really fun, Emma
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

@DrTom nudged me to look harder at something I was already doing. Finally got the correct pieces! OTC and looking at that raspberry? pie …
The other Wendy. :roll:
damefox

Post by damefox »

I think I'm supposed to post hints today? If I can figure out how to obscure them on Crosshare (I knew how to do this once but I can't remember and there is no page on Crosshare with instructions) I'll post them on the puzzle itself.

Here are three hints, in increasing order of hintiness:

1. There are six entries that all have the same clue, except the clues are all missing a word (replaced with ?).
2. You need to find the missing word. It is not the same word for all six clues.
3. The missing words are in the clues, specifically at the start of six different clues. After that there's just one more small step...

Update 3pm: I figured out how to include hints in the prompt on Crosshare, so these same three hints are available directly on the puzzle as well.
Last edited by damefox on Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Nudged off the couch... phew! Already had nudges 1 and 2 covered, but needed 3 to focus on in. Thanks, enjoyed it, Emma!
Ray
haydendog

Post by haydendog »

Got it! I had the right idea, just couldn’t put it all together without the nudges.
woozy

Post by woozy »

How is difficulty rated? Complexity or difficulty of finding the concept. If so this is the lowest rating above a 1. So a 2. Or if we do decimals a 1.2.

Or by difficulty in finding the concept and carrying it out. If so this is bumped up by nearly two notches. So a 3 or a 3.14. I just can't call this a 4 even though it took me quite a long time to solve. (Actually half an hour to an hour is fair for a three range. Four should be reserved for the half a day to a day and a half puzzles)

Very fun and cute puzzle regardless of the rating.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MaineMarge wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:27 am OTC to get me some
Really fun, Emma
Gosh I hope my piece is in the mail (suitably dry iced to withstand the trip to Florida)!

You cannot see it of course but I had to wipe drool off the computer twice.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:12 pm A rye comment in the Zoom room showed the way; without that, I was a naan-starter. As my son used to say, "Boy, is papadum."
I know how that fear that you are not going to rise to the occasion feels, and I take pita on you.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!