MEOW #140 Oblique Meetings

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Cat's out.
Untitledzzmeeting.png
But I'm finding this somewhat oblique.

Wowza of a puzzle! Thanks, Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

The puzzle has been live for almost 24 hours. Here the list of those who have successfully freed the cat!

woozy
Dow Jones
Cindy Heisler
schmidzy
rjy
Cindy Weatherman
boharr
Bird Lives
Berto
merlinnimue
hoover
Meg
Ergcat
MatthewL
Schmeel
kymike
DrButtBeard
Qmark
ajk
Carolyn
Tyrpmom
Tim
DrTom
heidi
I K Snamhcok
DIS
Laura M
DebbieC
Gutman
kurtalert
Jaclyn
SJMcK
LindaPRmaven
KayW
edestlin
Kent
markhr
lbray53
ReB
whimsy

That's 40 to get us going!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Cat free here as well! Catching up on my metas before the grands wake up and mayhem begins. Great feat of meta construction!
The other Wendy. :roll:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

More solvers! We're up to 47 now:

JHSeeman
HeadinHome
Charles Montpetit
CPJohnson
JM
daemok
LasersharpAurora
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Darth

Post by Darth »

Count me out... I mean, in! ...But the cat's out... and moving about...somewhere! ... Great fun, Ben. Thanks.
cat ladders.jpg
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Three more solvers bringing us up to 50:

Darth
bhamren
Darrell

I knew there was something that I forgot to do yesterday: the nudges! Here they are...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There is no meta hint in the grid; but the title is very signficant.

2. You must have noticed some odd extra bits in some of the clues. I hope you were able to work out what UR and DR stand for.

3. UR = "Up and Right"; DR = "Down and Right".

4. It is surely significant that there were 12 such clues given that we are looking for a 6-letter answer.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Two more solvers for a total of 52:

Sendhil Revuluri
MrTheHan

The solution is imminent...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Oblique Meetings":

IMG_20230808_071208_(500_x_856_pixel).png

Announcing a new meta pack: the MOAT Music Meta Pack. US$10 gives you access to 12 music-themed metas that will not be published at any time in the future: this is not a pre-release pack! And there are some absolute corkers in here. I think these are some of my best metas (even if I do say so myself) ranging from easy ("week 1" in the MGWCC parlance) to relatively difficult (let's just say "week 3" - but ymmv). The pack comes with PUZ and PDF files and private links to Crosshare, where you can access nudges, solve online, submit your answer, and then comment with fellow solvers.

moat&pipes.jpg

(Please allow 24 hours after payment to receive the pack: time zone differences make it hard to guarantee prompt service!)