Hope Springs Eternal - August 2023

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I, of all people, should not have needed a nudge. But I did.
Jay
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting a board update... Yay! #77.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

On the board after #8 solver Meg confirmed that my long list of rabbit holes was ridiculous.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

DCBilly wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:50 pm On the board after #8 solver Meg confirmed that my long list of rabbit holes was ridiculous.
I haven't shown anyone my list yet, but we'll assume they're also ridiculous.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

@HunterX hoping for the same.
Brainbow

Post by Brainbow »

Hi folks. I’m new here and have spent WAY too long staring at this puzzle. Can someone give me a nudge and save my sanity? Please and thank you.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

HunterX wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:26 pm Finally saw it. It was frustrating since I had all these rabbit holes yet kept coming up empty.

But sometimes, if you stare at everything long enough, it all comes together in the end.
What a journey, wow. Finally got it. This probably was the most glaring rabbit hole I've pursued, but I was on the trail for a while. I got it without realizing exactly what the mechanism was and then it was a real head-slapper.

HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Brainbow wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:07 pm Hi folks. I’m new here and have spent WAY too long staring at this puzzle. Can someone give me a nudge and save my sanity? Please and thank you.
I've offered you a hint, via PM, but you don't seem to be around this evening, so I will leave you in the even more capable hands of some of the super helpful folks. If you still need a hint by the time you see this, just go ahead and reply to my message - otherwise - best of luck, and welcome to the madness of the MMMM.
Meg

Post by Meg »

DCBilly wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:50 pm On the board after #8 solver Meg confirmed that my long list of rabbit holes was ridiculous.
I just want to be clear in case there might be some misinterpretation. I never said @DCBilly's rabbit holes were ridiculous. I said they were empty. I would never accuse a Muggle of having ridiculous rabbit holes. Quirky maybe, but not ridiculous.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Meg wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:27 pm
I just want to be clear in case there might be some misinterpretation. I never said @DCBilly's rabbit holes were ridiculous. I said they were empty. I would never accuse a Muggle of having ridiculous rabbit holes. Quirky maybe, but not ridiculous.
I will still self-declare mine as ridiculous. :lol:

(One observation did emerge as rather relevant, however!)

HunterX

Post by HunterX »

MikeyG wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:37 pm
HunterX wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:26 pm Finally saw it. It was frustrating since I had all these rabbit holes yet kept coming up empty.

But sometimes, if you stare at everything long enough, it all comes together in the end.
What a journey, wow. Finally got it. This probably was the most glaring rabbit hole I've pursued, but I was on the trail for a while. I got it without realizing exactly what the mechanism was and then it was a real head-slapper.
Not sure if I had the same experience that you did. But it seems entirely possible that I know exactly whereof you speak.
HoldThatThought

HunterX wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:03 pm

Not sure if I had the same experience that you did. But it seems entirely possible that I know exactly whereof you speak.
Did you both have the Smiley Face blotter?....oh, no, wait... forget I said anything.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Thanks to some refocusing help, I am on the board at #100.

The clues for the MEGA META are coming in too slowly. I see something, but not enough for me to solve.
m5rammy

Post by m5rammy »

ky-mike wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:24 pm The clues for the MEGA META are coming in too slowly. I see something, but not enough for me to solve.
Oh man, I am in the same situation.
I have a potential guess since last month, but I would rather be Right then be Quick.
I want to consult with any of the 36 people that have submitted an answer (correct or incorrect), without mentioning any specific song (or band etc)

if that's you, please pm me
BeaTea

Post by BeaTea »

Would anyone care to let me know if my rabbit holes are empty? Been staring at this for a while and seemingly going nowhere.
m5rammy

Post by m5rammy »

BeaTea wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:54 pm Would anyone care to let me know if my rabbit holes are empty? Been staring at this for a while and seemingly going nowhere.
PM me with what you have, I'll help you ... shine a light in the holes and look for wabbbits?
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

The fat lady sang about 13 minutes after beginning. It took 12 minutes for fill and less than one minute for the solve,
It was one of those puzzles where I knew immediately what to look for. And THERE it was.
One of my favorite MMMM puzzles. Two thumbs up!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

HunterX wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:03 pm

Yeah, I think that's quite probable, haha.

PaPuzzler

Post by PaPuzzler »

I have two (what I think are) pretty good rabbit holes and have been staring for awhile. Wondering if anyone could possibly nudgingly confirm this track or relieve me of my delusion. :)
HoldThatThought

PM me; but I would also suggest that if you were actually staring at the real rabbit, at this point, that you wouldn't be wondering about what you were looking at (if that makes any sense)