64. Change Your Tune

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
Meg

Post by Meg »

Nicely done, Mikey! I committed the cardinal sin of ASSUMING, which caused some consternation. But everything worked out in the end. Quite a lovely feat of meta construction.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
markhr

Post by markhr »

It was quite the struggle, but I finally got it.
Most impressive, Mikey!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it. Thanks.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Loved it!

Mikey, your puzzles just keep getting better!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

We have 12 so far, so that means Level 5 (or maybe 4, at least) is accurate! Another nudge coming tonight while I'm cheering on the Cubbies!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Had to fight for this one, but ultimately (with a little assist from @boharr I was able to puzzle it out. Wowza -- quite the puzzle. Thanks Mikey!
Matthew
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MikeyG wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:11 pm Early nudge:

1. You'll probably notice the same incongruously used prepositional phrase a few times! That's obviously intentional.
Drat - already saw that. To be truthful I have not spent a lot of time on this yet, but it looks like a MGT (Mikey G Thriller!!!)...Da dum dum da dum dum, da dum dum da dum dum

It's close to midnight
And I've been working on this thing since ten
Under the lamplight
You see things over and over again
You want to scream
But know you'll wake the house with your frustration
You start to freeze
Your solving grid is an abomination
You're paralyzed

Cause this is a thriller, thriller solve
And all you've done won't save you
Unless your thoughts evolve
You know it's a thriller, thriller right
You're fighting for your life inside a killer
Thriller tonight, yeah
Michael-Jackson-Thriller-Video.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

MikeyG wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:39 pm ... Another nudge coming tonight while I'm cheering on the Cubbies!
I'm definitely NOT over here refreshing the page in anticipation, before the game even starts, nope, not me!
rjy

Post by rjy »

schmidzy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:48 pm
MikeyG wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:39 pm ... Another nudge coming tonight while I'm cheering on the Cubbies!
I'm definitely NOT over here refreshing the page in anticipation, before the game even starts, nope, not me!
Let’s hope the Cubs score a crooked number in the bottom of the first so Mikey can drop the nudge on us promptly!

Six minutes ‘til we start hitting the refresh button!
Ray
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I'm off to what I'm guessing is the right start -- and hoping that the Cubbies (nudge) work(s) wonders!

(Meanwhile, I have to stay up for a West Coast Red Sox game that my daughter's going to be at. You never know who might catch a foul ball!)
rjy

Post by rjy »

Cubs 0, Reds 0 going into the top of the 2nd

Mikey can’t be thinking nudges what w him and Ginger Cat on the edge of their seats… Let’s go CUBS!!
Ray
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

whimsy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:21 pm I'm off to what I'm guessing is the right start -- and hoping that the Cubbies (nudge) work(s) wonders!

(Meanwhile, I have to stay up for a West Coast Red Sox game that my daughter's going to be at. You never know who might catch a foul ball!)
That's awesome!

I do like the Reds more than any other non-Cubs team in the Central; I'm happy how they're doing...but just not against us!! (We're down 3-0 early.)

A couple of nudges coming your way:

2. The four down entries with the same nonsensical prepositional phrase afterward all need to, per the title, "change" something.

3a. There's a bonus hint on the nature of the change within each of the four down clues!

Not really a nudge:

3b. This is the beginning of your journey, not the end! There's more to do afterward!

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Solved, but only because @boharr patiently nudged me along. I thought this was a true week 5!
Cindy Heisler
Berto

Post by Berto »

Ugh. I was thru 3a without needing any of the nudges, it’s the 3b I need help with! What next?!!!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Berto wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:44 pm Ugh. I was thru 3a without needing any of the nudges, it’s the 3b I need help with! What next?!!!
Yeah, me too. But I'm utterly stuck on any rationale on how to apply nudge 3. I have a near infinite of utterly arbitrary options but no idea how to find a relevant method.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Me three!

Edit: Off the couch! ... uh, ashore? ... uh, we really need a tagline for these.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

schmidzy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:51 pm Me three!

Edit: Off the couch! ... uh, ashore? ... uh, we really need a tagline for these.
Well I am going to suggest "PUN-t returned" For the record I have not yet done that....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Berto

Post by Berto »

PUN-t returned! (A la @DrTom) - although not without a few bruising hits along the way… and only crossed the line after a bit of blocking and tackling from @schmidzy
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Solved, with help from a successful solver to keep doing what I was doing! Definitely a "week 5", Mikey.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Nudges are not helping yet. And not for lack of trying. I hope there will be more on Wednesday.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!