MGWCC #791 — “Table Games”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

MGWCC #791 — “Table Games”

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC #791 — Friday, July 28th, 2023 — “Table Games”

Starting now, I’m writing a weekly crossword for Merriam-Webster’s website. It’s a puzzle type called “The Missing Letter” that I created especially for the site: 25 entries in the grid are defined using their M-W dictionary definition, and these each begin with a different letter of the alphabet. The only one not represented each week is “The Missing Letter,” and you can enter to win a $25 gift certificate at their site. Check it out here.

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

This week’s contest answer is a 6-letter adjective that I hope you won’t think applies to this puzzle

Solve well, and be not led astray by words intended to deceive.

–Matt

NOTE: There are three additional hints given in an extra email and posting to Matt's Patreon site which do not affect credit given for a correct answer.

The spreadsheet will be PMed & available tomorrow evening.

WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY CROSSWORD CONTEST?:
MGWCC is available only to subscribers at my Patreon page
A subscription costs $3/month.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

(First to be wrong, but that is not an Achievement nor the last one I need..)
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Obvious self-promotion: I have a Level 5 (eep!) meta coming out tomorrow, and it's definitely playing like a Level 5. In honor of Matt's generosity, I'll also offer 3 early hints!

This was a fun one, and what I suspected turned out to be true. (I did take the hints, in full disclosure.) Another great one from the meta master!

How I feel after many Week 4 and Week 5 metas:

Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
MMe

Post by MMe »

MikeyG wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:35 pm Obvious self-promotion: I have a Level 5 (eep!) meta coming out tomorrow, and it's definitely playing like a Level 5. In honor of Matt's generosity, I'll also offer 3 early hints!

This was a fun one, and what I suspected turned out to be true. (I did take the hints, in full disclosure.) Another fun one from the meta master!

How I feel after many Week 4 and Week 5 metas:

Early hints are fine, but on a week 4 I don't know why they needed to be so soon? Wouldn't it have been good to give the Janglers a shot at solving before we all got hints that turn it into a week 2?
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Beamed up with Gaffney hints

(In the top ten, woo hoo!)
Last edited by SJMcK on Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boharr

Post by boharr »

I downloaded the puzzle at 12:01, and Jangler beamed up at 12:21 (he was a tad late today). However, utilizing the infamous quadratic equation, I believe I have now qualified for the long-sought-after "Downloaded the Puzzle Before Jangler Posted on the Board" badge.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

boharr wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:06 pm I downloaded the puzzle at 12:01, and Jangler beamed up at 12:21 (he was a tad late today). However, utilizing the infamous quadratic equation, I believe I have now qualified for the long-sought-after "Downloaded the Puzzle Before Jangler Posted on the Board" badge.
To the tune of "Pop Goes the Weasel":

x equals negative b
plus or minus square root
of b squared minus 4ac
all over 2a

And we'll see if this really does turn this into a Week 2! Data nerd here, with averages of 347 for 2023's Week 2 puzzles (thus far) and 304 for Week 3! Only 9 in about 75 minutes, so I think it's still playing on the difficult side.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
MMe

Post by MMe »

:lol: Yeah I might have been too quick with the "week 2" call
stmv

Post by stmv »

MMe wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:37 pm
Early hints are fine, but on a week 4 I don't know why they needed to be so soon? Wouldn't it have been good to give the Janglers a shot at solving before we all got hints that turn it into a week 2?
I pretty much agree with this sentiment.

However, it was awfully nice to have the hints right away, so I could avoid the feeling of helplessness that I often get with the hard metas, of not having any idea even where to start.

So I was weak, and read all three hints pretty much right away. Even with the hints it took me some time to tease out the meta solution. And I ended up at #8 on the leaderboard, an unaccustomed exalted position.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Beamed up at #12! Really nice aha moment when I saw this one. I appreciated the hints.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
markhr

Post by markhr »

Number 23. Not sure why Matt put out hints so early, but they were indeed helpful.
I won't complain.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

On the board at # 28. Glad to have the hints to get me started.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Solved with the hints. I had already worked out what the third one says, but the hunt was tough IMO. I might well have abandoned the path without that pointer to keep going. So definitely glad to have them.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed.
Hints used of course.
AaronT

Post by AaronT »

Submitted and awaiting beamage. Solo solve, though I did confirm my answer with another solver just to be sure and unashamedly used all 3 hints.
Last edited by AaronT on Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed.

I used the hints — and still found it challenging.

Very cool! Fun aha!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Solved (pending leaderboard update) with hints, and feeling kind of unsatisfied about it. I can see that having official hints might level the playing field for the non-Muggle MGWCC crowd. But I don't like getting them with the puzzle because I have no willpower :-) We should at least have to request them.

Edit: Just curious, did people still submit as solo solve after using the hints? I assumed that made it non-solo.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Beamified. I thought this was a fine week 4 puzzle!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Amanda Hugginkiss

Post by Amanda Hugginkiss »

I agree with @stmv. I rarely get week 4s, and lately I don’t always even try, so I took the hints right away and they made it the perfect level of difficulty to be fun for me. I don’t care about the leaderboard, but I can see why some would be annoyed that people using the hints are on there earlier than people who aren’t. Then again, we’re in different time zones and have different schedules too, so maybe it shouldn’t matter. Not everyone can get to a puzzle right when it comes out.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

On at #43
Laura M wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:10 pm Edit: Just curious, did people still submit as solo solve after using the hints? I assumed that made it non-solo.
I used the hints. I called it a solo solve. I consider the hints that Matt puts in an e-mail to be the same as the hints that he sometimes puts in the clues (". . . or a [something or other] that you need to solve the meta").
Jay