"Food Group" July 28, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Franky_T

Post by Franky_T »

Ashore. Thanks Zoom group!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:09 pm I'm going to say ASHORE because it seems like a 100%er.

But YIKES, when Matt sends out a puzzle with NUDGES!!!! I'm wondering if I should even try, or just start drinking now.....
Definitely start drinking now.

As for the MGWCC, I'd say take a hint and take the hints.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

On the beach. I was RUshing about so much yesterday that I didn't have time to print oFF the puzzle until 11 pm last night. I fillED out the grid last night and thought I would give it a quick look before going to bed. Saw it quickly--no GROaning and moaning like last week! Then I paUSEd to appreciate the (always) ingenious work of our meta creators.

I'll have a Frozen Peach Margarita--we just got a new ice cream maker after our 30-year old model bit the dust (after flooding my kitchen counter and floor with salty ice water). Bonus is that the new maker has recipes for frozen drinks!

Jigging Cove, Cape Breton/Nova Scotia, October 2015
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:50 am Solved! Missed yesterday's Welcome Luau on the beach because I was at the Cecil County (Md.) Fair, watching a school bus demolition derby and participating in a push-up competition. It was quite an experience.
You probably demolished the competition!! Burpees or just plain Merkins? How many did you do?

The zoom session joke goes something like this:
Once a long time ago in a land far, far away there lived a group of people called Trids. The Trids were happy except for the huge ogre that lived on the mountain. The ogre would periodically terrorize the Trids.
The Trids were tired of the ogre’s terrorism and sought to reason with him. They thought one of their religious leaders would be a good intermediary. So a group of Trids and their minister went up the mountain, but before they could even say one word the ogre kicked them down the mountain.
Not being dismayed, the Trids thought that maybe the ogre was Catholic, so they sent another delegation, this time led by the local priest. But alas, as they approached the ogre, he once again kicked them all down the mountain.
The Trids were upset until they thought that perhaps the ogre was Jewish. Unfortunately, no Trids were Jewish, so they wrote to the people of another land and asked them to send a Rabbi to help them with the ogre. The Rabbi arrived and led a delegation of Trids up the mountain. The ogre saw them coming and kicked all of them, except for the Rabbi, down the mountain.
The Rabbi, having been told of the previous expeditions, wondered why he alone had not been kicked down the mountain, so he asked the ogre. The ogre laughed and replied: "Silly Rabbi, kicks are for Trids!
Relic

Post by Relic »

Ashore quickly after a late start. Did some pregaming yesterday with my son at a cigar bar in Keller, after a rather harrowing physical therapy session. Enjoyed a cigar in doors for the first time in over 10 years. Nice afternoon-evening with good company; the drive home was a bit sketchy though. Most of today was recovery time.

Good to go now. I'll have an IPA with a cabernet chaser (or vice-versa)!
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
aaugusti

Post by aaugusti »

Ashore on a Friday. Drink of choice is a Psychedelic Cat Grass from Shorts Brewing Co.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Ashore!
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

It's been a while since I've been able to say ... Ashore!

(Definitely couldn't say it last week)
JustAQuickThought
iblinked

Post by iblinked »

On shore!
OliviaL

Post by OliviaL »

I found the mechanism immediately, but got stuck for quite some time on one piece. Finally on shore!
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

Finally made it on shore for the first time in a while. Well made puzzle!
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

Ashore! It's going to be a big beach party... Cheers!
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I'm on the shore. Cool construction.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Going to be a crowded beach…but I’m there!
And it’s about time, too.*
*[Not the Meta answer.]
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

On the beach. Interesting construct.
seahawks_seashanty

Post by seahawks_seashanty »

Despite a brief disagreement between solving partners, we were able to paddle ashore with relative ease!
mitchel674

Post by mitchel674 »

On a very crowded shore!
jmorgie7

Post by jmorgie7 »

Ashore. decided on a quick glance at the meta to get the brain in gear for the weekend and poof it just fell out. dont know if i have ever had a friday but page 13 is about right. what to drink...choco double malted ... who needs alcohol?!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Great to see everyone on the Friday Zoom!! What a wonderful way to begin the weekend! Cheers to all!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
drbockel2

Post by drbockel2 »

Happily ashore for a change! Coffee in the morning but I’ll have a cocktail later.