MEOW #138 Checkmate

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Cat is out. Nudge #2 helped since I had been looking for the wrong thing. Thanks, Chris!
Cindy Heisler
woozy

Post by woozy »

DrTom wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:28 am OK, then some nudges....

The Title, The Title, The Title...what is it telling you to look for?

Clue 1A was intended to be a "foothold". It probably would have been better if we had not had the "you" at the end
Hard to believe 30A is not a meta clue...
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat: Nudged out of the bag. Fun one - thanks guys!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

This just proves that I'm better at checkers. :lol:

We're going 0/3 on some clever, yet-to-be-determined name for the three consecutive metas starting with M (MMM, MOAT, MEOW).

Obviously, @lbray53, I want to solve this to get to the comments thread!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, that' a little better:

19 Pair O Ducks
20 hoover
21 Cindy Weatrherman
22 kurtalert
23 Qmark
24 Katiedid
25 lbray
26 DIS
27 Cindy Heisler
28 Carolyn
29 merlinimue
30 woozy
31 CPJohnson
32 KayW
33 rjy

It is either because everyone (A) raced through (B) gave up on WSJCC and MGWCC, either way, good way to spend your time. Chris's puzzle is getting all kinds of interesting comments and rabbit holes.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Forgot to post this morning- bounced back to this after flailing on WSJ and MGWCC (and still flailing), but finally got this after a helpful nudge on top of the two posted. Tough week of metas, but a nice aha! here once the scales fell from my eyes. Thanks, Chris (and DrT too!)
Ray
ajk

Post by ajk »

*Finally* saw this after I'd given up like 5 times. My fault, not the puzzle's. :lol: Thanks!
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Update on solvers:
34 Dow Jones
35 ajk
36 David Clyde

Reveal will be tomorrow. If anyone still wants/needs nudges please PM either Chris or myself.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I fell for the fake themer trap again! Cat's out of the bag!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well two more solvers dashed for the finish line:
37 JM
38 MikeyG

Thirty eight is not a bad number of people to derive satisfaction from a puzzle. I suppose the drink everyone will be celebrating with is a Jaggermeister?
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

The REVEAL!!!!!
Well this one was a bit of a challenge, mainly because mechanisms hidden in clues are hard, and mechanisms that rely on picking out words hidden in other words just seem to be harder. However, they are fair game and certainly have been popping up all over the place in different incarnations. We had a total of 38 solvers and it appeared that all of them had fun with the puzzle, so mission accomplished.

The meta prompt was a last minute bit of inspiration by Chris and I when we saw we could tie one of Sir Mick's iconic hits to it. It seemed to resonate with all the solvers so we are counting it a success. The "nudge clue" (1A), which I have to take credit for, was not particularly good. The hope was that the solver would go from "clues inside" to "inside clues" and it worked but only about half as well as desired. As mentioned, probably should have left off the final "you".
Checkmate Graphic Reveal.jpg
OK then, a rest for a day then one from me is in the offing, but don't ask for a preview, even Wild Horses couldn't drag it out of me. So let me just end by hoping this is a red letter day for you, I mean who couldn't like a Ruby Tuesday....
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

This might be your best puzzle yet, Chris.