MGWCC #789 — “Solve for X”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I love your cute possum, @DrTom !
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
eckmania

Post by eckmania »

Another side-door solver here. I did not fully understand the entire mechanism until after I submitted.

Joe
TMart

Post by TMart »

Laura M wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:40 pm
TMart wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:15 pm Beamed up at #44 - not bad for four hours late. I got it but I’m not sure why/how it makes sense to do what I did to get it.
Like @TMart and others, I got the solution before completely understanding it, but I promise it does 100% make sense! Just might take a little more thought...
I think I see it now - the last part was intuitively how I got it. Or maybe I’m just making stuff up at this point. 😂
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Classic Gaffney. It doesn’t make sense until it does.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Ohhhhhhhhhh. Brilliant.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
woozy

Post by woozy »

dudeski wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:07 pm Classic Gaffney. It doesn’t make sense until it does.
Well apparently it makes some sense to some people as some people are seeing some "side door".

But to me everything is complete gibberish that doesn't make any sense no matter how you look at it.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:34 pm I love your cute possum, @DrTom !
He's a cutie pie that's for sure. and no apparent fear of me!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:42 pm I saw something quickly but i’m sure I came through a side door. Submitted anyway, of course!

Will keep trying to figure out the ACTUAL mechanism.

update - I think I get it. But I used intuition more than formula.
Nothing wrong with that! We have a brewery down here called Intuition and their product is pretty darn good. As a result I am a fond believer in the use of intuition to solve a vexing problem!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Confidently awaiting the beam...

... Egad! but this is a long wait - 4 hours so far...

... and I'm beamed up at #79. Nice to be in the top 100 for a week 2!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Beamed up
On the board at #81
IMG_2486.jpeg
Compliments of the Cloud Appreciation Society
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Awaiting the beam! I think I took the same side entrance as others, but a kind discord-er helped me find the step I'd missed for a total lock.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Late start, will let it percolate until I have a concert tonight in 54D :o
Ray
ajk

Post by ajk »

Got most of the way there thanks to some Discord breadcrumbs. A kindly nudge helped me understand the last elegance.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
rjy

Post by rjy »

I think I got it… awaiting beamage. Missed the most recent transporter by 2 minutes so as I wait I’ll continue to seek the click. I know it’s in there somewhere……… or else I’m totally wrong.

Edited: beamed! Still trying to figure out the metanism in its entirety tho
Last edited by rjy on Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
burak

Post by burak »

I'm very positive I have the answer, I just don't get why that's the answer.

And as I was typing this I realized what's happening lol. Good one.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Got it with a nudge on discord.

Maybe this is sour grapes (almost certainly) but this has to be the most far-fetched and arbitrary MGWCC ever and definately my least favorite so far. Well, maybe I should wait an hour before making such pronouncements but... It's utterly arbitrary. And, boy, do I have nitpicks about the meanings of words.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Beamed, with a kick in the head by the good Dr Tom
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

woozy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:26 pm Got it with a nudge on discord.

Maybe this is sour grapes (almost certainly) but this has to be the most far-fetched and arbitrary MGWCC ever and definately my least favorite so far. Well, maybe I should wait an hour before making such pronouncements but... It's utterly arbitrary. And, boy, do I have nitpicks about the meanings of words.
I was going to comment this was one of my favorites of the year so far. :lol:

Curious about the side-door, and I'll be interested to hear people's comments after the deadline on this one! I think I went in through the main door, but I was at the party anyway. ("Sorry, I'm late to the party - I didn't want to come.")
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I have what I would believe is a much better answer and a much funnier answer. Not derivable from the meta but perhaps if you started with this as an answer.

Check out the time that @MaineMarge posted. Now that is dedication and perseverance

Submitted and confirmed - with lots of help from the aforementioned young lady from Maine. (that sounds like one of you guys could make a limerick out of that)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
PuzNewbie

Post by PuzNewbie »

I'm awaiting beaming and I feel confident in my answer, but that was kind of... a weird start. Will someone please explain the full reasoning behind the metanism? I'm very curious about how people made their first few deductions. Thanks! p.s. Thanks for the explanation, boharr!