"Allow me to introduce..."

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
ajk

Post by ajk »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:43 pm OTC!

Seriously? This is the first meta you’ve constructed?? Very nice! Muggles, we have another prime candidate for Rookie of the Year.
You're much too kind, but thanks!
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Abide

Post by Abide »

woozy wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:45 pm one problem with early constructions is a misjudging between what is clear and necessary and what is merely possible.
It's rated a 3 of 5 difficulty with a big hint at 63-Across. I'd say the rating is legit.

We like to schedule tougher MMMs early in the month, and easier ones later in the month. Counterbalance to MGWCC.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Untitledzzhelp.png
"It's a pleasure...."
(And I definitely needed a helping hand to arise from that couch! :D )

Congratulations, Alan!
Thanks for a terrific first puzzle!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Congrats, Alan - great debut! I am off the couch (without nudges). Looking forward to seeing more puzzles from you!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Off the couch.
Great debut - thanks for the puzzle! Hope to see more.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Abide wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:58 pm
woozy wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:45 pm one problem with early constructions is a misjudging between what is clear and necessary and what is merely possible.
It's rated a 3 of 5 difficulty with a big hint at 63-Across. I'd say the rating is legit.

I wasn't talking about the difficulty. I was talking about the applying the second nudge. Of course my opinion may change when I finally solve this thing but right now.... well, I'm stuck on the idea of "need".

EDIT: Oh, I just got it. Okay, I was mistaken.

EDIT2: An excellent meta in the end. I made one little error but it's really the fault of Google's dictionary rather than anything else....
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Off the couch! No nudges needed, but took me awhile and a lot of looking to find it, which to me is a fine meta! Gotta work for it! Thanks Alan!
Heidi
ajk

Post by ajk »

OK, here's where we stand as of the last time Crosshare updated. Not so scary as this morning. :)

Apologies if there are any duplicate handles (this is a combined muggles/crosshare list and I can't always tell). And please let me know if I missed anyone!

Monday evening leaderboard:
[TS] Abide
[TS] Wendy Walker
1. Hector
2. benchen71
3. Capn Rick
4. Alex Sisti
5. merlinnimue
6. boharr
7. BarbaraK
8. Meg
9. Qmark
10. Cindy Weatherman
11. MatthewL
12. rjy
13. markhr
14. Pair O Ducks
15. whimsy
16. I K Snamhcok
17. kurtalert
18. ChrisKochmanski
19. MarkWoychick
20. Schmeel
21. woozy
22. Gutman
23. BrennerTJ
24. Carolyn
25. hcbirker
26. DIS
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Now you can add this dingbat to the list. Nudged out of the loveliest rabbit hole, lined with a preponderance of false evidence. It was so cozy. (If you’ve solved you can read about it in the comments on Crosshare. Not that that’s me, at all. A cross hare, I mean. Loved the puzzle.)
The other Wendy. :roll:
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Off the couch ( needed the nudges!). Great debut meta! Thanks, Alan!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

OTC with an assisting arm from @Bob cruise director.
Very enjoyable puzzle and meta, and so good to have a growing slate of Muggle meta constructors 🤗
Excellent job @ajk !

Now let me introduce you to a favorite peony of mine- West Elkton- named for the town in Ohio where it was first created.
Japanese variety with striking white center
Very long season of bloom
IMG_7722.jpeg
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :couch_and_lamp: Nudged off the couch. Kudos on a Marvelous Maiden Meta - very clever metanism and construction. Thanks and hope to see more from you!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Off the couch late yesterday and without nudges. I thought it was a fine puzzle.

Assessing difficulty, as we've seen with MGWCC, runs into the problem of what seems to be wide variability between and within individuals. I thought this one was fairly straightforward, but other folks who usually outsolve me needed nudges. Maybe all difficulty ratings should come with a YMMV disclaimer.
Jay
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Great puzzle, enjoyed it! Although this was playing in my head the entire time:

CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Off the couch, with nudges. Thanks, ajk! Can’t believe it’s your first!
Cynthia
ajk

Post by ajk »

Tuesday afternoon update:
27. KayW
28. Laura M
29. HeadinHome
30. Tyrpmom
31. andeux
32. JM
33. MaineMarge
34. Bob cruise director
35. Ergcat
36. Bird Lives
37. Berto
38. Andrew Bradburn
39. CPJohnson

Again, apologies for any duplicates, and please let me know if I missed anyone. Additional Nudges tomorrow.

Thanks so much for all the very kind words so far!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Off the couch! Looking forward to your next meta! Great debut!
Cindy Heisler
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Thanks for the nudges!! Off the couch. Great introduction!!
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

Off the couch before the second batch of nudges drop. It's a bit like last week's where I needed to think about it in a simple way.
Nice puzzle!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Off the couch after the first "early nudge" got my mind in gear.