"Allow me to introduce..."

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
ajk

"Allow me to introduce..."

Post by ajk »

Hi folks. It seems the urge to create meta puzzles is contagious, so welcome to yet another first-time constructor MMM. :lol:

I had the idea for this sometime this spring, but waited until the semester was over to tackle actually creating it, since I correctly anticipated that it would be a whole new form of rabbit hole. :lol:

Hat tip to the very helpful Advice on learning to construct crosswords thread, and of course to Crosshare.

BTW, If you enjoy solving on Crosshare, help keep the site running by donating a few bucks.

Biggest thanks to test solvers @Abide and @Wendy Walker, who were super encouraging and helped make it better (especially with respect to difficulty level). And of course to @Joe Ross for tech support.

The meta answer is an event involving introductions.

Hope you enjoy!

"Allow me to introduce..." crosshare

"Allow me to introduce..." PUZ

"Allow me to introduce..." PDF

"Allow me to introduce..." spreadsheet

Difficulty(??)
A Bit Choppy.JPG
Obviously I have zero experience in making such predictions so...caveat emptor, etc.

Nudges coming Wednesday (or earlier if need be), solution Sunday. I am of course always available via PM for early and/or additional nudges.

Good luck!
cheers,
Alan
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Great debut! I'm off the couch, too. :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

I'm off the couch! I had an early peek at this one as a test-solver, but I couldn't find the mechanism until this morning. Awesome job, @ajk! Keep 'em coming!

So, um, @Bob cruise director, does the POE rule apply to MMM as well as SSS and WSJ? If so, then I extend my apologies and throw myself on the mercy of the forum. :D
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Off the couch. Thank you. A terrific debut.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I’m off the very fine couch!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

i’m likely in that rabbit hole of which you spoke. It is a very deep and convincing one. Also, no one else is in here.
The other Wendy. :roll:
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, I can honestly say I'm not in a rabbit hole.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Cap'n Rick wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:31 am I'm off the couch! I had an early peek at this one as a test-solver, but I couldn't find the mechanism until this morning. Awesome job, @ajk! Keep 'em coming!

So, um, @Bob cruise director, does the POE rule apply to MMM as well as SSS and WSJ? If so, then I extend my apologies and throw myself on the mercy of the forum. :D
@Cap'n Rick I tiptoed into that minefields and almost had @Wendy Walker fire a salvo across my bow so I will let her be the ultimate judge of POE related issues.

Me doing my best Axel Foley immitation

running-eddie-murphy.gif
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Meg

Post by Meg »

Very nice debut. I had to be shoved off the couch, thanks to a friendly Muggle. Well done, Alan!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Off the couch...nice debut! Thanks!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Interesting grid @ajk, but I’m Still on the Couch
IMG_9572.jpeg
Obviously giving serious thought to the meta.
rjy

Post by rjy »

So 57D
Ray
ajk

Post by ajk »

OK, struggling to break double digits here means I clearly underestimated the difficulty. Sorry! I promise I wasn't setting out to be overly tricky.

To stave off the pitchforks, here are a couple of early nudges for you:
Meta puzzle titles are often more literal than you think.
Five symmetrically placed grid entries need introductions.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Off the couch! Needed a bit of a nudge, but did most of the work myself. Great first meta!
Matthew
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

I have the grid done and started working on the meta - plenty of time as a rainy day has wiped out golf and outdoor work

Kudos to @ajk for squeezing my initials in but that is wiped out by all the words for those of us who are 32A - all with a negative connotation.

https://blog.anythinglefthanded.co.uk/b ... -language/

However as was pointed out under Chapool, we are considered more intelligent than others.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

ajk wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:58 pm OK, struggling to break double digits here means I clearly underestimated the difficulty. Sorry! I promise I wasn't setting out to be overly tricky.

@ajk

No problems - this is me if you feel any pangs
supernatural-jensen-ackles.gif
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ajk

Post by ajk »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:40 pm No problems - this is me if you feel any pangs
:lol: :lol: :lol:
rjy

Post by rjy »

Nudged off the couch... great debut puzzle, Alan! Challenging mechanism, and really enjoyed the creativity in the cluing... kudos!
Ray
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

OTC!

Seriously? This is the first meta you’ve constructed?? Very nice! Muggles, we have another prime candidate for Rookie of the Year.
woozy

Post by woozy »

ajk wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:58 pm OK, struggling to break double digits here means I clearly underestimated the difficulty. Sorry! I promise I wasn't setting out to be overly tricky.

Yeah, I thought of that but... I think one problem with early constructions is a misjudging between what is clear and necessary and what is merely possible.
Last edited by woozy on Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.