"Pop Duos" July 7, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Holy crap the Saturday puzzle kicked my butt.
vandono

Post by vandono »

On shore!

It's been a really busy few days but I did make time to look at it and really saw nothing for the longest time. Then something I'd noticed earlier finally clicked. A very slow "aha!" and not one I'd have made the first page on even if I'd had time - but a very clever and enjoyable meta! I've struggled with Shenk constructions recently so this felt good.

Guinness sounds good.
cheryl w

Post by cheryl w »

Ashore. Liked it.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Dave and I met up with @KayW today for a drink at The Rabbit Hole in Chicago, followed by lunch next door. Fortunately, neither of us was struggling with a real rabbit hole this week. It was so fun to meet up in real life!
20230708_132029.jpg
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are on shore with everyone - got Thursday and late posting here! Regardless, glad to be in the sand...........
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Didn't think I was going to find time this week, and if I did my mind wouldn't be into it. Perhaps being back on the shore of the Mississippi River was what I needed to help me get to shore here.

Count me done and done. I'll grab another Whitey's shake before I head to Chicago on Monday and fly back East on Tuesday. Got my fill of Quad City style pizza to last me for a while.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
vandono

Post by vandono »

Sleepy wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:15 pm Holy crap the Saturday puzzle kicked my butt.
Same! The upper-left and upper-middle took forever.
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Ashore
Wow!
Amazing construction.
I can see that I am one of many muggles who have been traveling this week. I started the grid while overlooking a beautiful lake in northern Wisconsin; finished it during a long layover in MSP; solved the meta in two “sessions “ on flight number two. Looking forward to getting back home, well after midnight. I’ll wait and submit my answer to wsj in the morning.
Googly

Post by Googly »

KayW

Post by KayW »

yes so WondeRful to mEet iN person. (A VERY poor homage to @LadyBird’s wonderful weekly bird search posts, and makes me appreciate how difficult they must be to create each week!)
IMG_4803.jpeg
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

Finally got it!! Onshore now.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

The tenders going to shore are essentially empty now. We have 5 on the ship and 207 on the shore

Getting to the shore are

D B Miller
Tina
Alvibu67
Franky_T
Googly
cheryl w
Diane
Annabelle
eagle1279
diplomatt
Joepickett
vandono
sharkicicles
KscX
Grover
JRS51
Trey and Marion
Andy100
Collegetowngirl

Don't forget the Last Call zoom at 8 pm ET to either get help or just chat. And check out @Cap'n Rick 's SSS meta under Other Metas Crossword Puzzles.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
LizD

Post by LizD »

Ashore!
IMG_1392.jpeg
I don't have an inner child... I have an inner old lady. :geek:

Meta solver by night, proud independent bookstore owner by day!
ron

Post by ron »

I am ashore. Just got to this puzzle due to travel.

The mechanism jumped out at me pretty quickly.
Relic

Post by Relic »

Took longer than it should but finally spotted the rabbit and am in the water trying to make it to shore.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
Colin

Post by Colin »

Ashore in a flash,
Kayak paddle for the dash.
Coke and Sprite me please!
Last edited by Colin on Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One world. One planet. One future.
Relic

Post by Relic »

Made it ashore after figuring out how to correctly put the "legos" together. Ice Tea for now, good stuff later.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Didn’t get to the puzzle until Sunday afternoon, thanks to a friend’s wedding festivities in Newport RI all weekend, so was very happy to be able to solve in time! On shore!
muggleunity

Post by muggleunity »

New crew member here. Had trouble with the hatch, but finally made it ashore for the first time. It’s beautiful!
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

I will probably be one of the last people on this beach, but I am on shore.
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/