"The Global Marketplace" June 30, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
John77

Post by John77 »

I would not be surprised if regular customers of Royal Farms or WaWa had trouble with this one.

And I was unaware that 7-Eleven was Japanese-owned until I checked Wikipedia.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
Craven_Mug_Craver

Post by Craven_Mug_Craver »

I am haunted by the possibility that my 7-11 submission was not accepted because it was not 7-Eleven.

I feel about as dumb as the guy that called 7-Eleven to find out when it closed!

Incidentally, I still don't know how the solution popped into my head. I saw the many XI''s pretty fast but then went down many many rabbit holes, the least successful of which was international airport codes. But somehow I got it. Now...what time does 7-Eleven OPEN?
---

Grids are easy...metas are hard.
Fogway

Post by Fogway »

Congrats to all who solved. Being in Boston to enjoy what this fine city has to offer, there simply wasn't enough time for MG's offering. I'm also doubtful for next week's puzzle when the New England countryside will be in play.

Please give my regards to Issac and tell him to reserve a spot at the bar for me on Bastille Day.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Craven_Mug_Craver wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:41 am I am haunted by the possibility that my 7-11 submission was not accepted because it was not 7-Eleven.

I feel about as dumb as the guy that called 7-Eleven to find out when it closed!

Incidentally, I still don't know how the solution popped into my head. I saw the many XI''s pretty fast but then went down many many rabbit holes, the least successful of which was international airport codes. But somehow I got it. Now...what time does 7-Eleven OPEN?
That’s how I submitted too, then realized it’s 7-Eleven; guessing/hoping it won’t matter.
katnahat

Post by katnahat »

Oh so clever.
Kathie
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:27 am Matt has done the seven eleven thing before. He posted one with seven 11 letter words. Remembering helped in my case
I KNEW I remembered this sort of idea from some past puzzle... that's the one I was thinking of! Thanks for jogging my memory.
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

iggystan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:42 am
Craven_Mug_Craver wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:41 am I am haunted by the possibility that my 7-11 submission was not accepted because it was not 7-Eleven.

That’s how I submitted too, then realized it’s 7-Eleven; guessing/hoping it won’t matter.
I imagine they'll give some leeway with the exact wording/spelling/numbering. I googled to figure out what the "correct" way to write it was, just to be sure, but by getting to 7-11, 7-Eleven, 7 Eleven, whatever- I mean, you've clearly solved the puzzle at that point.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Their process is that a computer picks a random submission, but then an actual human looks at it to see if it’s correct or if they need to pick another. So it should be no problem to recognize spelling variations as acceptable.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Cindy N wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:10 am I will say my initial thought when I started noticing all the Xs in the grid was TJ Maxx.
Same here!
Momo

Post by Momo »

I first thought target - x marks the spot, but I knew it wasn’t right.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Having checked Wikipedia to see what the “global” aspect of 7-Eleven might be (it is still unclear), I learned that the “n” in the name/logo “7-ELEVEn” is lower-case! I had never noticed that before despite being as familiar with that logo as any Slurpee-loving American. Who knew?
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

Can’t believe I didn’t get this one. Saw the XIs, thought of Seven 11, but couldn’t find the Seven in the grid and so didn’t submit. This is probably the easiest one I didn’t solve.

On to next week’s, and good luck to everyone.
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

PHOFER wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:44 am ... what the “global” aspect of 7-Eleven might be (it is still unclear) ...
From the corporate web site, over 83,000 stores in 19 countries. But I wondered too.
Kas

Post by Kas »

I'm happy to note that I got this one right (though I find it very curious that I have not yet received an email from the WSJ to advise of my incoming mug)...

One weird Rabbit Hole to note: I gleaned the unusual instances of the letter "X" in the grid, then the 71A clue led me to the realization that the repetition wasn't just "X," but "XI," or "eleven." My first inclination was to go right to the "11" in the grid, i.e., 11D, or "Apex"--which I looked up, and indeed "Apex" is apparently a global/international retail distributor.

But I wasn't comfortable with submitting "Apex," as it would be pretty unusual for Matt to actually have the entire/complete Meta answer in the grid, and I was pretty sure that "Apex" didn't meet the "well known chain" parameter. (Though I've been wrong before, i.e. "Margaret Cho" [cough, cough]...) Anyway, I put the puzzle down, and when "7-Eleven" later occurred to me, I went back to check...and indeed, there were seven "XI's" in the grid, so--voila.
vandono

Post by vandono »

Had Rodin created a sculpture called "The Overthinker", I would paste an image of it here. Oh, the many places I tried counting to 11 from 7 starting points! SMH.
woozy

Post by woozy »

But why "global"?

And does one usually consider a 7-11 "retail"?

(My opinions: No idea and it confuses me; and not really but it's not technically incorrect. What are your opinions?)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

woozy wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:48 pm But why "global"?

And does one usually consider a 7-11 "retail"?

(My opinions: No idea and it confuses me; and not really but it's not technically incorrect. What are your opinions?)
@woozy

7-Eleven Inc is an international company owned by a Japanese conglomerate Seven & I Holdings. 7-Eleven operates or franchises 78,029 stores in 19 countries. In the US, in addition to operating under the meta answer brand, it operates Speedway and Stripes Convenience Stores.

And a retail store is any store which sells directly to the public.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
mbryant

Post by mbryant »

Grew up in Durham NC in the 70’s and 7-Eleven was my go to convenience store. Then moved to KY, then raised my family in Atlanta and never saw another one until I started traveling to Hong Kong for business. So I had no trouble with the “global” title.
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

This has to be the most embarrassing fail I've ever had. I had the 11s, I knew there were seven, I even multiplied them.... Don't ask. At least the boat wasn't crowded
The XWord Rabbit

Post by The XWord Rabbit »

50%nominee.jpg
Your Rabbit has gone on record, saying he has given up trying to predict the number of sorry tales worthy of mention on a given week. There is no better example than recent results.

Last week: Consternation reigned supreme because so many of you Muggles had trouble getting a toehold on the puzzle. And yet, no nominees because your stories were too similar.

This week: A romp in the park for most of you, and yet … well …

Mr. Gaffney’s “Global Marketplace” puzzle contained the letters XI in seven entries. The clue at 71A hinted at Roman numerals, and the meta appeared soon enough: 7-Eleven.

But not for everyone, as Colin so methodically described in his circuitous route:

Saw the seven XIs immediately, and from there, it was all ‘downhole’…
- substituted the XIs with all sorts of variations, including the A in square 11 - nothing
- removed the XIs - nothing
- searched for other countries with ‘Roman numeral’ leaders (because the clue for 71A included “is ALSO a Roman numeral”
- checked the leaders of Thailand (SIAM), Mexico (MEXICAN) and Iraq (IRAQI) to see if their names, initials, etc spelt a retail chain
- added in Asia, Iowa, Norway and China and checked first letters, last letters … nothing
- figured that 7 x 11 = 77 but no 77th clue, so started counting 11 squares from the start 7 times to spell… I can’t remember, but it was gobbledygook
- repeated including blanks in the count… same result
- then finally wondered what the heck I was doing, since other muggles were posting about slapped foreheads and using “doh”-type phrases, so I asked myself “What have we got here?” and I answered “Seven elevens.” In the time it took between a literal flash of lightning outside and the subsequent loud clap of thunder, it FINALLY dawned on me and I submitted with a slim margin… not much more than 77 seconds! And all that for a 1 in 5,000 shot at a mug! These admissions are somewhat embarrassing, but I hope it helps illustrate one of my mantras: If at first you don’t succeed, try, try, try again with ever-decreasing stupidity.

No need to be embarrassed, Colin. And you have a better chance at a mug than you think. Except it will have the Rabbit on it.

Before enjoying his picnic dinner, your Rabbit will leave you with an appropriate tune for this time of year.

So Happy 4th and...Hey, let's be careful out there.
5c58cef676be8.image.png