MEOW #135 Cut From the Same Cloth

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Untitledzzpunishment.png
Out of the fast-food take-out bag.
Great puzzle, great fun.
Thanks, you two hams-burgers!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

That was fun!

Not my strongest suit, but the cat is free.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Cat scatted, and I took her place on the couch (to mix a muggle metaphor). This was the most pun I’ve had in a very long time!
The other Wendy. :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

whimsy wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:01 pm Untitledzzpunishment.png

Out of the fast-food take-out bag.
Great puzzle, great fun.
Thanks, you two hams-burgers!
Well hot dog!

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

WHEW! We were worried there for a few minutes, it was late in the day and we had only about 10 solvers. No doubt everyone trying to solve the meta from that grandstander on Monday. How dare he try to horn in on our puns? The nerve!

Anyway we are up to 23:

1 Hector
2 Meg
3 boharr
4 Chris Kochmanski
5 Al Sisti
6 Cindy
7 Bird Lives
8 markhr
9 ajk
10 JHSeaman
11 kurtalert
12 Tyrpmom
13 Darrell
14 hcbirker
15 MatthewL
16 THC
17 Carolyn
18 ImOnToo
19 Pair O Ducks
20 ergcat
21 whimsy
22 BarbaraK
23 HeadInHome

That is very respectable so (and those of you waiting for them, don't blame us, blame these overachievers!) we will hold off one more day on the Nudges. Thanks to everyone who has solved so far, and if you have not, hurry up before the WSJ gets in the way!
Last edited by DrTom on Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
rjy

Post by rjy »

[Thought I posted this yesterday, but missed that it didn't submit...]
Still haven't gotten a toehold - happy to let it simmer for a bit. But this one deserved a post-grid-fill salute: so much creativity and stupid nonsense :lol: Just a delight!
Ray
Berto

Post by Berto »

Got it! Cat released.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Solved! Good one, with the punishment fitting the chrhyme.
    Lewis the cat is gladioli had to stay in the bag 1 day. Now out to the garden to inspect the big hole our dog Ruthie dug right in the middle of a bergenia plant looking for that squirrel
    IMG_6877.jpeg
    hoover

Post by hoover »

After a lovely chicken breakfast, the cats have found their way out of the bag!
    DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MaineMarge wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:29 pm
      Solved! Good one, with the punishment fitting the chrhyme.
      Lewis the cat is gladioli had to stay in the bag 1 day. Now out to the garden to inspect the big hole our dog Ruthie dug right in the middle of a bergenia plant looking for that squirrelIMG_6877.jpeg
      Well if he waits until after 4 PM he can look for a rabbit!!!
      DrTom

Post by DrTom »

hoover wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:00 pm After a lovely chicken breakfast, the cats have found their way out of the bag!
      Ah, so it appears this answers the age old question, "what came first, the chicken or the bag"
      Thanks for solving!
      PuzNewbie

Post by PuzNewbie »

Groaned and giggled my way through the grid last night. Fresh eyes solved the meta instantly this morning. Wonderful collab, gentlemen! :)
      hoover

Post by hoover »

DrTom wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:51 pm
      hoover wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:00 pm After a lovely chicken breakfast, the cats have found their way out of the bag!
      Ah, so it appears this answers the age old question, "what came first, the chicken or the bag"
      Thanks for solving!
      You didn't ask, but breakfast was a portion of Raising Cane's chicken tender with the breading chewed off by moi, then torn into manageable bits.
      ReB

Post by ReB »

Cat is free, once I deciphered the clues and then took a fresh look. Well done.
      CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

DrTom wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:03 pm
      That is very respectable so (and those of you waiting for them, don't blame us, blame these overachievers!) we will hold off one more day on the Nudges. Thanks to everyone who has solved so far, and if you have not, hurry up before the WSJ gets in the way!
      Has it been one more day yet?
      Cynthia
      DrTom

Post by DrTom »

CPJohnson wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:05 pm
      DrTom wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:03 pm
      Has it been one more day yet?
      As Jean Valjean said..."one day more" and it has been indeed. Nudges to follow board update!
      DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Solver Board Update:

24 LauraM
      25 lbray53
      26 rjy
      27 Berto
      28 MaineMarge
      29 hoover
      30 PuzNewbie
      31 ReB
      32 BrennerTJ

It appears LOTS of you like this one. Mike and I are humbled by your praise but are soooo pleased you like it. It took a lot of time to come up with the components and then we had to rein ourselves in (yes believe it or not what you see is a reined in version) so that the answers were not obvious only to us and perhaps a Pungeon Master ( a title we both aspire to). Thank you dear Muggles!!
      DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Nudges, YAY!!!

As usual the title gives away the mechanism, but admittedly it is subtle here

The meta answer is 8 letters long

Sometimes the path lies in the answers, sometimes in the clues, and sometimes...

Are their 8 things that you might identify as themers based on a characteristic

When have you EVER known either of us to be succinct?
      woozy

Post by woozy »

Okay... when are the real nudges coming?
      Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
      benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

The cat has been dragged, scratching and yowling, from the bag. My thanks to @DrTom for the remedial nudges!
      Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock: