MEOW #135 Cut From the Same Cloth

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

MEOW #135 Cut From the Same Cloth

Post by DrTom »

Cut From the Same Cloth Banner 2.jpg
"Be careful what you wish for." Truer words were never spoken. Several times Mike and I have heard "you two are such punsters, you ought to do a puzzle together!". Well Muggledom, that day has arrived. We toiled, we chuckled, we pulled out our absolute best (or worst as the case may be) punning hats and went to town. We even thought of asking the past VP to review it because we wanted to spare no Ex-Pence!

The result we think is a pretty darn good puzzle and, in our none too humble (to us humility is when the room is too full of hot air) opinions, is a real chuckle or groan fest. If you cannot think of what the clue is getting at you probably need to ask yourself, "now what might these two have been thinking of?" (by the way, if you can do that consistently and get the correct answer, there is reason seek help)

The puzzle is probably a 3 on the pun-ishment scale:
(while the puns are a 10 on the puzzlement scale)

PUNISHMENT SCALE:
2 inch slice of Devil's Food (Piece of Cake)
Inventor in Urgent Care (Watt, ICU)
** Like Reddy the cat's partner from the animated series (Kinda Ruff)
Questionable collection of believers (Iffy Cult)
Chance for a church song (Hymn possible)

Nudges will be posted (and if we cannot find enough posts we will use stanchions instead) on Friday and we will be available by PM for direction or interpretation.

Good luck, and believe me we are sure you will be led astray by words intended to deceive.

"Cut From the Same Cloth" - crosshare

"Cut From the Same Cloth" - PUZ

"Cut From the Same Cloth" - PDF

"Cut From the Same Cloth" - spreadsheet

NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Thanks, you guys! That was fun!!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

The cat groaned so loud I had to help it out of the bag.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Cat-free bag.

What pun!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Cat's out of the bag though without completely understanding some of the clues. Saw some oldies but goodies (42A) and really liked 66A.
Jay
ajk

Post by ajk »

Grid was fairly breezy until the bottom third when I hit a nearly-gave-up-and-revealed-some-stuff brick wall. Worked through it eventually though. Puns are not generally my thing (quite the opposite), but I did chuckle at a few (28D, 35A, 42A, 43A), and the groans from the others were probably only audible a couple of offices over.

Went down a brief shinny rabbit hole before I reset and noticed the correct path. Very fun stuff, thanks gents.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Cats out of the bag.....loved the clues, just so punny..

Did have a misfire on the answer before I saw the error of my ways and resolved it.

Thanks to both of you.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:56 pm Cat's out of the bag though without completely understanding some of the clues. Saw some oldies but goodies (42A) and really liked 66A.
We can provide a Tom/Mike Punish to English translations if needed...

Thanks for finally filtering out the good bits - hope it was not a strain.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

ajk wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:32 pm Grid was fairly breezy until the bottom third when I hit a nearly-gave-up-and-revealed-some-stuff brick wall. Worked through it eventually though. Puns are not generally my thing (quite the opposite), but I did chuckle at a few (28D, 35A, 42A, 43A), and the groans from the others were probably only audible a couple of offices over.

Went down a brief shinny rabbit hole before I reset and noticed the correct path. Very fun stuff, thanks gents.
Only audible a couple of offices over...well we are obviously not doing our job. I mean we sent this to McDonalds and got a chain reaction....

Thanks for solving
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

boharr wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:51 am The cat groaned so loud I had to help it out of the bag.
We hate to see a groan cat trapped in a bag....
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Meg wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:18 am Thanks, you guys! That was fun!!
Pesci.jpg
Let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, we’re a little odd maybe; but we’re funny? What do you mean funny, funny how? How are we funny, how? I mean funny like we’re clowns, we amuse you, we make you laugh…oh darn, my red nose just fell off and I kicked it into the sawdust under the car full of people with my oversized shoe, we’ll get back to this funny thing later.

(with apologies to Joe Pesci)
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Cat's out of the bag! Thanks guys for a punny punishment!
Heidi
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

boharr wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:51 am The cat groaned so loud I had to help it out of the bag.
Best compliment ever, haha.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Meg

Post by Meg »

DrTom wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:59 pm
Pesci.jpg

Let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, we’re a little odd maybe; but we’re funny? What do you mean funny, funny how? How are we funny, how? I mean funny like we’re clowns, we amuse you, we make you laugh…oh darn, my red nose just fell off and I kicked it into the sawdust under the car full of people with my oversized shoe, we’ll get back to this funny thing later.

Well, sometimes the grid is a googlefest (boring) or full of clues for people not in my generation. Your grid was interesting, especially when I couldn’t see the bad pun and had to think about it. The meta showed up pretty quickly, so I didn’t have to strain my brain all day. All of these aspects spell FUN! What, are people complaining?
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

The cat has been debagged (but is still shaking his head over some of those puns). Thanks gentlemen!
Matthew
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Meg wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:52 pm
DrTom wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:59 pm
Pesci.jpg

Well, sometimes the grid is a googlefest (boring) or full of clues for people not in my generation. Your grid was interesting, especially when I couldn’t see the bad pun and had to think about it. The meta showed up pretty quickly, so I didn’t have to strain my brain all day. All of these aspects spell FUN! What, are people complaining?
No sorry, I was just going for levity, paraphrasing the Pesci speech in Goodfellas and then making the segue that implied I was wearing a clown outfit so that is why you might think I was a clown. There was no reaction to anything bad, as a matter of fact people seem to be enjoying this "MAD Magazine" version of a meta.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Woo Hoo! Cat’s outta the bag.
That was so much fun!
Thanks, Tom and Mike!
Konnie
hoover

Post by hoover »

I finished the grid (woo hoo, 2x the pfun!), but I can still hear the cats rattling around in their respective bags.
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

I just now downloaded the puzzle and will jump into it tomorrow AM. And with DrTom and MikeyG collaborating on a very verbose puzzle, I might be able to finally solve my first meta!
Seattle DB
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Cat is free! That was pun-ishment but I would rather have the Devils food cake!