Positions Everyone

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
DrTom

Positions Everyone

Post by DrTom »

Positions Everyone Graphic2.jpg
Here is another puzzle that really came about as I was filling in a non-Meta crossword. "Hmm", I mused. "I'll bet with a little work this could be a meta!" It turns out I was right.

More than a few of you saw it during testing: Cap'n Rick, Wendy, Whimsy, Peter and Al Sisti.

It was not a bad puzzle before I sent it to Peter and Al, but Al came up with a meta answer that was not just good, but inspired. Any of you who say "how clever" at the end (and I hope there are a bunch) are really saying it to Al.

So, on with the puzzle. The meta answer is a literary/film character in a leadership position (that is the Sistinspiration I spoke of). I would put this at a solid 2.5 or perhaps 3 due to the final twist.

There will be nudges starting Wednesday. The initial ones will be the patently obvious and they will get more and more focused over time. I will always be available for PMs should you feel the need.

"Positions Everyone" - Crosshare
(NOTE: If you enjoy solving on Crosshare, help keep the site running by donating a few bucks).

"Positions Everyone" PUZ

"Positions Everyone" PDF

"Positions Everyone" spreadsheet

NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Off the couch! Enjoyed this one, so my thanks to @DrTom and team.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
rjy

Post by rjy »

Off the couch… nice one, DrT&Co. As always, the clueing, DrT 🤣 Refraining from pointing any out here as they’d tip your hand, but I’m still chuckling over a few!
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

rjy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:57 am Off the couch… nice one, DrT&Co. As always, the clueing, DrT 🤣 Refraining from pointing any out here as they’d tip your hand, but I’m still chuckling over a few!
I think I was meant to be a comedy writer. Iris one of these daisy I could return and use all these daffodilly "Tomisms" as a dahlia job. But that would jasmine I had to start all over again. Why all the flowers...well we are talking about reincarnation aren't we?

Glad you liked the puzzle and the clues. I'll be interested to hear your favorites after the reveal or by PM if you want to tell me earlier.

Tom
Flower Bed.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Meg

Post by Meg »

That was fun! Especially the end!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Loved it too! OTC.

If you want to know what any of those flowers in your picture are, I bet @MaineMarge could tell you if you aster.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Off the couch! Great "aha" moment!
Cindy Heisler
boharr

Post by boharr »

OTC. Thanks, DrTom.
rjy

Post by rjy »

DrTom wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:37 am
rjy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:57 am Off the couch… nice one, DrT&Co. As always, the clueing, DrT 🤣 Refraining from pointing any out here as they’d tip your hand, but I’m still chuckling over a few!
I think I was meant to be a comedy writer. Iris one of these daisy I could return and use all these daffodilly "Tomisms" as a dahlia job. But that would jasmine I had to start all over again. Why all the flowers...well we are talking about reincarnation aren't we?

Glad you liked the puzzle and the clues. I'll be interested to hear your favorites after the reveal or by PM if you want to tell me earlier.

Tom
Wow - you really rose to the occasion there, didn't you?! But yes, I PM'ed you with the clues I thought were irisistible.
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

rjy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:42 am
DrTom wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:37 am

Tom
Wow - you really rose to the occasion there, didn't you?! But yes, I PM'ed you with the clues I thought were irisistible.
Nice return of service! Did that come to you in your mind or did you say it aloud with your tulips?

I love cruising on the schooner Sunflower, their captain's motto "stick with me and azalea around the world.
hoover

Post by hoover »

:shock: OTC, with a nice >click!< at the end.
Not sure how you made that lower left corner work out that way though. :shock:
rjy

Post by rjy »

hoover wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:40 pm :shock: OTC, with a nice >click!< at the end.
nice :lol:
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

hoover wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:40 pm :shock: OTC, with a nice >click!< at the end.
I beat it until it was ready for submission? :oops:

Thanks for solving.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

rjy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:45 pm
Only way that could have been better was if it had been sent by a Southern California cowboy; L.A. TEX :D
PuzNewbie

Post by PuzNewbie »

Off the couch! Thanks for the fun start to my week!
rjy

Post by rjy »

DrTom wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:01 pm
rjy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:45 pm
Only way that could have been better was if it had been sent by a Southern California cowboy; L.A. TEX :D
While the weekend’s meta garnered some glowers
Today DrTom offered us flowers
But several posts later
The discussion did crater
Hide your kids! it’s “Muggles After Hours”
Last edited by rjy on Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
ajk

Post by ajk »

Very fun stuff, thanks. And agree that the twist is pretty inspired.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Off the couch. Very enjoyable puzzle, Tom! Almost tricked me, until it didn't.
Matthew
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Very clever!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)