58. A Noteworthy Summer

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
MikeyG

58. A Noteworthy Summer

Post by MikeyG »

PDF and PUZ

Crosshare

---

Summer's around the corner! Three summery things from my end:
  • I've been planting out in the garden with my mom, trying to keep those pesky squirrels away from the sunflowers.
  • I get to see some of my amazing students graduate and look forward to attending their graduation parties, mostly to eat the food. (They know this, haha.)
  • Cubbies have turned a corner?? As of writing this, they've won 6 of their last 7. They still need to keep it up to avoid being sellers at the deadline.
---

1. Puzzle #57 recap

Puzzle #57 answer: HEINZ

Correct entries: 70

(Thanks, @BrennerTJ!)

Shortest explanation: The five silly themers each conceal a brand name, whose initial letters spell HEINZ, the meta answer. Probably a Level 1, honestly! Note CAT and SUP across the middle also.

---

2. Leaderboard:

---

3. This puzzle is a Week 3 in the month, but it will likelier trend a bit upward to Week 3.5. Thanks to @Abide, @BrennerTJ, @DrTom, and @oldjudge for their puzzling insights!

58. A Noteworthy Summer

The answer to the meta is an 8-letter word.

Good luck, and may all your solves be beautiful!

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

A very innovative puzzle by Mikey. Wishing a happy Father's Day weekend to all the dads on the board.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Forgot to post here! Came looking for a Saturday puzzle, but wanted to say that RE: Noteworthy, I do love your brand Mikey, even when I get in a pickle. This one was light and crisp, a perfect accompaniment for the SSS/MMM sandwich,
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Meg

Post by Meg »

That was fun, Mikey!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Got it!

Hot fun!

Thanks, Mikey!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat: :sunglasses:

That was brilliant! Thanks Mikey
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it. Nice one. Thanks!
markhr

Post by markhr »

This was a fun one to work through. Crunchy, but in a good way.
Thanks, Mikey.
woozy

Post by woozy »

It *is* work. Not a "you just see it". You chew through it. I'm not yet done but....

Edit: Chewed through and got it but had to swallow the last bit whole... Now to read the explanation.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

What a dolt; I posted for "Product Placement" on "Noteworthy Summer". I was right in my praise, but off in my weeks. Noteworthy Summer is soooo classically MikeyG, clever and gut rattling funny. I don't know if I'd call the mechanism "crunchy" because it has been used in a not unsimilar manner recently, it just takes - as is the norm - noticing something that ties things together. Loved it, respect the constructor and now must go and rest my muscles (belly muscles, perhaps the last I have left, exercised regularly by Mikey!)

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

We start off with 16 in about 24 hours. For a Level 3.5, that's about what I would expect so far! Unlike the last one, nudges will be Wednesday or Thursday, but until then, as always, put it aside for a bit and come back to it - you never know what your brain might dislodge!

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Finally got it, thanks to a very subtle hint from Dr. Tom. Had the first step, but needed a course correction. Nice one, Mikey!
Matthew
Berto

Post by Berto »

Solved! Thanks, Mike!!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I made it to the answer before the nudges. Yay me! That was a clever puzzle, @MikeyG.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Quite the puzzle, Mikey!
It helped when I finally started playing with a full deck --
Untitledcatfulldeck.png
(Not a spoiler -- at least not for this puzzle.)

Thanks for the long-running entertainment!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Solved! Got to it a bit late because I got stuck on DrTom's gem of a MGWCC puzzle this week.
This was a great one - thanks!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Got it with a nudge. Nicely done!
Heidi
rjy

Post by rjy »

So great, Mikey, really well done! Brilliant challenge with a great aha!

…tho I’ve found that the aha! sensation is directly proportional to time spent in rabbit holes, so for me, it was a massive aha!
Ray
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Hoping for some nudges soon.......
Cynthia
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Got it when I finally printed it out instead of just looking on my phone. Very clever!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)