MGWCC #785 — “Tentative Meta”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:54 pm
DrTom wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:16 pm
MMe wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:15 pm The bio blurb sent me to check out the medical journals, where I found DrTom's classic paper, "Nitroglycerin Ointment for Anal Fissures." Sounds ... dangerous.
Only if you are a fissure, or perhaps a hunter (but not an Ex hunter, and certainly NOT a Hunter-X) :)
Thank you for making a point of exempting me from the category! I don't want to be the butt of jokes around here. And while I may be a hunter, I'm not a fissure man. (And didn't do my preparation...)
So many thorough folks do an A-Z preparation and forget the H. But that can be a sore subject. Interestingly it is often a problem amongst men named Albert, so much so that we refer to it as an AL trauma. ;)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

So I do the MGWCC on my iPad, opening the email and clicking on the PDF link. I didn't even bother to read who the guest constructor was. As I started, I thought, "Will this be another new, young constructor whose cluing will annoy me, either because there are too many clues involving pop culture only my 20-year-old kids would know, or because they used so many oh-so-clever clues with no crossing gimme's that I'm left... clueless?" Pleasantly, I found that not to be the case at all, and I quite enjoyed the cluing!

It was only after completing it that I came here and found that our illustrious @DrTom was the reason behind this realization. Thanks Dr. Tom!

And my worry was also wrong about the constructor being new or young!

(I said "new OR young." So you can take your pick there.)

Also, beamed up!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:03 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:26 pm Image
Does this imply a swing and a miss?
Yes, a WAG, first to submit, first to be wrong, swing for the fences attempt at that last badge.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:06 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:26 pm (Image removed)
Yes, a WAG, first to submit, first to be wrong, swing for the fences attempt at that last badge.
And it's a very painful looking swing and a miss! So I'm removing the GIF and making another post to move it off my screen!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Some very nice Discord assistance, and I'm beaming and beeming (and confirmed at #90).
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up. I always enjoy a Dr Tom meta and can't wait for a Dr Tom/MikeyG meta. I never really liked puns until I started doing these metas.
Congratulations, Dr Tom on your MGWCC debut. Well-deserved!
Cindy Heisler
Joe

Post by Joe »

I took the leap and landed on the board at #18. Great one, DrTom! I do think that I now need some kind of cleanse after reading the previous comments. Yeesh! I thought this was a family show.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Oh, this is a Dr. Tom puzzle, all right.

Awaiting a sure beam.

Edit: And there I am at an even 100.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Wow, Dr. Tom, you've hit the big time! Huge congratulations! Awaiting that warm, powerful beam ...
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

So I made the stupid mistake I made with the Music Meta a few months ago, realized my error after I submitted five seconds later, and sent in a plea to Matt to have mercy on me. He graciously did so. READ THE PROMPT! Doh! I have beamed.

And Dr. Tom , way to go big time! I hope your wife appreciates it!

Heidi
Heidi
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam...

... and I'm beamed!

Congrats to @DrTom for your MGWCC debut. Welcome to the club! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:06 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:26 pm Image
Well you gotta take the swing!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Cinny wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:05 pm Beamed up. I always enjoy a Dr Tom meta and can't wait for a Dr Tom/MikeyG meta. I never really liked puns until I started doing these metas.
Congratulations, Dr Tom on your MGWCC debut. Well-deserved!
Thanks Cindy! As one of my frequent guinea pigs (or rather testers) you have had a chance to see many Tom puns...obviously I wore you down!

Tom
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

hcbirker wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:16 pm So I made the stupid mistake I made with the Music Meta a few months ago, realized my error after I submitted five seconds later, and sent in a plea to Matt to have mercy on me. He graciously did so. READ THE PROMPT! Doh! I have beamed.

And Dr. Tom , way to go big time! I hope your wife appreciates it!

Heidi
Oh, I am sure she still thinks me quite daft, but at least she can see that I have gotten better at it.

Thanks Heidi!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:55 pm Wow, Dr. Tom, you've hit the big time! Huge congratulations! Awaiting that warm, powerful beam ...
You're next Missy, you're next!!!! Thanks Wendy!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Fun and very happy to get a week 3.

From one doc to another great job Dr Tom!!! I’ll have to look up that paper…

I want to echo what was said about the muggles. This is an amazing group and I can’t imagine life without all of you

Stay well
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

@Bob cruise director and I got it! Great meta, DT. We can always count on you for a fun ride.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MaineMarge wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:20 am @Bob cruise director and I got it! Great meta, DT. We can always count on you for a fun ride.
Thanks Marge. If you were in Florida today it would be a water ride. I'm about to grow webbed feet, but at least it is good for the flowers!

I'm always surprised we haven't seen a botanical meta from you? I mean I can see clues like:
Got out of bed = AROSE
Hot place to be = INFERNO
Sugar used in cooking = CASTER
Say again = REPEAT

Time for you and your solving partner to start constructing! :D
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

What a joy to read who the guest constructor was yesterday!Team DoubleTow needed a night to let things marinate and then we saw it this morning. Awaiting the beam. Thanks so much for the delightful puzzle @DrTom. Some masterful material there!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
rjy

Post by rjy »

Late start to the puzzle last night, so I missed the chorus of praise for Muggledom’s own DrTom, but I still need to add my own redundant voice to the assembly. How exciting for us - and for him! - to have get a slot in the MGWCC series, and a fun, challenging puzzle it was too! Awaiting beamage, but this solve was not without a lot of overnight meta-noodling. Congrats, DrT!
Ray