"Accentuate the Negative" -- June 16, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I can see why a celebrity would want an unlisted number. I was thrown off for a bit trying to figure out why that would apply to a crossword constructor. Any insight?
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

LadyBird wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:04 pm I can see why a celebrity would want an unlisted number. I was thrown off for a bit trying to figure out why that would apply to a crossword constructor. Any insight?
Tongue in cheek, I think. (That said, and speaking as a meta constructor, some solvers occasionally have strong opinions about metas!)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Mister Squawk wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:45 am I submitted AN UNLISTED NUMBER because grammar. Hope that doesn't disqualify me from the mug, he said without a trace of irony.
Well, it’s Thursday and still no winner. Apparently there must be some high level meetings still going on to decide if they will accept your answer with “AN” included! My vote would be to give you the mug!!!
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

Maybe the winner has an UNLISTED NUMBER and can't be reached.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Less than 4 hours til this weeks is out!

And while you wait, don't forget there are plenty more metas out there:

Pun of a Kind "A Noteworthy Summer" by MikeyG

SSS "Party Animals by ... me:) Think it's a quickie; if not there are nudges.

MMM "Porcus" by BirdLives

MOAT "Inner System" by BenChen

MEOW "Outer System" also by BenChen, a sequel to his MOAT
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)