"Accentuate the Negative" -- June 16, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
qvart

Post by qvart »

Ashore.
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

Ashore! I got the mechanism kinda quickly, but it took me a while to find all the pieces. Fun!
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
Cbaudhuin

Post by Cbaudhuin »

Safely ashore.
Nice collaboration with my sons!
Fun meta.
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Ashore. Another clever one. Grey Goose Martini please.
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

Just got there (I think because my jetlag has started to subside!!!).
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

4E13F6FC-D13B-4193-8599-0C2DBC6EF180.jpeg
Happy Father’s Day from my clan!
Attachments
2A6D8780-C312-4017-B60C-BD044A2B8FD6.jpeg
Heidi
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Don't know why this posted twice. Sorry!
Heidi
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Heidi
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

very sweet puzzle, left me un-numb.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Nope
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
moron

Post by moron »

hcbirker wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:00 am Image
I don't fully understand why crossword writers would want an unlisted number. The celebrity part makes sense.

(I was so close to shore.......
perhaps next week I will not drown)
woozy

Post by woozy »

moron wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:07 am

I don't fully understand why crossword writers would want an unlisted number. The celebrity part makes sense.

Considering how we gripe and complain when we can't figure out a crossword (it's always the constructor's fault; never ours) it makes sense to me.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

moron wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:07 am
Think Matt is being facetious.
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

I guess I don't feel so bad as I still don't get it?
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Absolute dead certain lock for me was 71A: "Number" as the first word of the clue, as in all the other index clues, and, moreover, the fact that the clue said that the clue, and not the answer, was significant. As someone else remarked earlier, this was a wonder in how the clues, answers, and title all meshed so nicely. [Edit] Forgot to add that the number was zero -- no number. A marvel.

[Edit again] The "someone else" was mikeB at post #141. See his even better explanation and elaboration (the best ever?) in the post immediately below this.
Last edited by otlaolap on Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeB

Post by mikeB »

It is impressive how all the gears of this meta mesh. The theme entries are the doorway to the mechanism. But they are not simply a collection of “UN-words”. Each is the first half of a common noun phrase. In conventional fashion, they get us to LISTED, but then what? Well, the meta’s title is very unusual, in that it is an imperative sentence. That is, it tells us to take a specific action. But what action? Most obvious is to attach an “UN” to get UNLISTED. Recalling some prior WSJ puzzles, the prompt could have asserted that the answer is a word that would make a good seventh theme answer. In that case, UNLISTED would be the solution, but no such guidance is offered (thank goodness, as this puzzle has more to give). Instead, the prompt is a seemingly capricious one that references celebrities and crossword writers. Huh? But this prompt is not about celebrities and crossword writers. It is really about grammar. Not explicitly stated is the prompt’s one real requirement: that the answer is a noun or noun phrase, because it is “something that . . .”. How do you get from UNLISTED to a noun phrase? It is the same way the six theme answers are combined with their second halves. All you need is a noun that goes with UNLISTED. That’s where Clue 71A comes in. It supplies NUMBER in the same way the other six nouns are delivered, keeping its promise that “this clue should help with that”. So all the puzzle components – title, clues, entries, prompt – work together in perfect harmony to get us to the one and only correct answer to this week’s contest crossword. Of course, experts here will have skipped some of these steps on the fast track to Page 1, and hats off to them, but that doesn’t detract from Mr. Gaffney’s masterful orchestration using all the components of this meta.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MaineMarge wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:13 pm If I was unmarried, I’m all suited up to apply for the position of Mrs. @Darth.
Just coming in from working in the garden in my Darth rain gear.
Probable chances Zero
Neither rain, nor sleet nor gloom of night shall keep @MaineMarge from her gardening chores
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I want @mikeB to break down every meta going forward so I can understand every nuance I've missed. Thank you, Mike!
martimeryard

Post by martimeryard »

I'm assuming then that submitting simply UNLISTED would not be a correct submission. Arrghhh!
Colin

Post by Colin »

Couldn’t wait to get back to the US Open and Father’s Day, so got to LISTED and submitted. Should’ve known better… every meta clue has a purpose! Anyway, congrats to solvers and to Wyndham Clark. Not only a creative shot-maker but also driven by a purpose bigger than himself.
One world. One planet. One future.