"Accentuate the Negative" -- June 16, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Ann

Post by Ann »

On the shore!
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I'm on shore...
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

This NC Tar Heel is ashore. Beer me. Grid and Meta solved.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Forgot to report earlier, but I'm on the shore. Hopefully I won't accentuate a sunburn...
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Once I got to it, this one came together quickly. Count me on the beach (although we just left Ocean City)!
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

This one was quite fun! Wonderful construction.
The grid itself was a challenge for me.
As others have mentioned, my first thought for the solution was far from 100% but AHA! I saw the actual solution just a moment later.
On shore now for the rest of the weekend. Ordering an ice cold Manhattan straight up!
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Ashore, we think. Logical answer but it just doesn't click like I think it should.
Pretty warm here in Houston. The air is 99 (feels like 116). The pool is 94. Hope AC holds.
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

JoeS wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:43 pm Ashore, we think. Logical answer but it just doesn't click like I think it should.
Pretty warm here in Houston. The air is 99 (feels like 116). The pool is 94. Hope AC holds.
99 degrees here in Phoenix, too but our pool is still in the 80s! On the bright side, it’s mid June and we’ve only been in the low 100s a few times with 110 still a few weeks away.
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Thank you @Wendy Walker for helping accentuate the correct direction to the beach. Ashore as well and off to wedding reception in New Jersey where I’m sure to find a few G&Ts.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Out of town and forgot to report being on a crowded beach.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore with a very direct swim. Love the clue at 71A.
FloridaMan81

Post by FloridaMan81 »

Ashore.

After probably 4-5 hours staring at it over 2 days I was starting to think I was cursed this week (this would be my 13th(!) solve in a row). Then I remembered a fleeting thought from yesterday that I tried but moved past again and boom, there it was.

Thanks also to Wendy for the confirmation.
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Ashore, also after staring blankly for a couple of days, trying to make it harder than it was. Nice meta!
femullen

Post by femullen »

Up in your neck of the woods visiting grandchildren, @Bob cruise director. They have gone to bed, so I pulled out the grid that I finished two days ago and at which time I saw absolutely 71A.

Tonight, after a G&T and 20 minutes, I stepped ashore with dry feet. It was Hendrick's, and I didn't buy it, so I'll have another.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
femullen

Post by femullen »

Noticed a number of comments on the difficulty of the grid. I'll pile on. There must have been a dozen clues looking for names of sports and culture figures, but I knew only one of them. These and the clueless [ <-- that would be me] theme answers left a lot of open acreage on Thursday. Eventually I just gave up and bashed my way to the finish with Google.

Do you ever wonder if Matt Gaffney and other puzzleers occasionally use Google as an aid to creating a puzzle? I'd feel better about using it myself if they did.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Elizabeyth

Post by Elizabeyth »

:Ashore! This was an oddly quick one for me, must have just been in the zone. Celebrating with a glass of Costco margarita (don't judge, it's delish :D )
Craven_Mug_Craver

Post by Craven_Mug_Craver »

I am...oh, I don't know, 93% sure I got this one. The solution is not forced but it doesn't quite have the "click!" quality correct solutions usually do. So...a non-alcoholic beer? Guess we'll find out soon enough.
---

Grids are easy...metas are hard.
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

Struggled a bit on the Meta and then it clicked. On shore with a Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' in hand. Cheers!
chyna

Post by chyna »

femullen wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:41 pm Noticed a number of comments on the difficulty of the grid. I'll pile on. There must have been a dozen clues looking for names of sports and culture figures, but I knew only one of them. These and the clueless [ <-- that would be me] theme answers left a lot of open acreage on Thursday. Eventually I just gave up and bashed my way to the finish with Google.

Do you ever wonder if Matt Gaffney and other puzzleers occasionally use Google as an aid to creating a puzzle? I'd feel better about using it myself if they did.
I also usually have to google cultural figures in order to solve the grids....I'm pretty wordy but I know nothing about pop culture. I wish they would do name-free grids every now and again! It is a nice little boost mid-puzzle though when I'm stuck and I need a hint, I know I can at least pop a few names in there to give me a nudge on the other clues.
LuscombeDriver

Post by LuscombeDriver »

Got it. Loved it.