"Accentuate the Negative" -- June 16, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Woke up this morning early to head back to the racetrack and sat down to take a look again with my coffee and… wow, I was making this way too difficult. Hopefully I’ll have more time to look at @DrTom’s great MGWCC later on.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Elizabeyth wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:04 pm :Ashore! This was an oddly quick one for me, must have just been in the zone. Celebrating with a glass of Costco margarita (don't judge, it's delish :D )
Do you have a new avatar or have I just not noticed this cutie before? Introductions, please!
Sara
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Sunday morning report: 22 more solvers have reached Muggle Beach: Momo, Qmark, Collegetowngirl, ASchuchert, Ann, Bill Katz, Halseymac, ReB, Jen Irvin, JRS51, Joe S, Sleepy, Richard, Phofer, Florida Man 81, Eagle1279, Femullen, Elizabeyth, CravenMugCraver, Sphorning, Luscombe Driver, and (after a stint on the ship with Isaac) Sharkicicles.

Today marks the @BarbaraK's debut as a puzzle constructor! You can find her clever puzzle, "Party Animals," by clicking on "Other Meta Crossword Puzzles" --> "Sunday Summer Substitute."
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Dickie_Dunn

Post by Dickie_Dunn »

Count me ashore! Hadn't had time to dig in until this AM but I was able to stay negative and get on dry land. Happy Father's Day! Nearly time to fire up the grill and crack a cold one.
Dickie Dunn wrote this, it's gotta be true.
Kwyjibo

Post by Kwyjibo »

On shore

Edit...
Starting to think my submitted answer is incorrect... so while on shore, I think I'm on the wrong island. Wonder if others are with me.
Last edited by Kwyjibo on Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

And ashore. Got confirmation that I was on the path, not a rabbit hole.

Good day for a berry weiss.
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

We are on shore after “did not play” last week due to vacation. Will save that one for a rainy day. Happy Father’s Day.
OliviaL

Post by OliviaL »

I found an answer pretty quickly, but I am unsure that it fits the prompt… Going to sit on it a bit more!

Edit: Aha! It just clicked for me. Count me on shore!
Last edited by OliviaL on Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Secret Adversary

Post by Secret Adversary »

Got it! Clever Mr. Gaffney.
Happy to provide nudges if you see that I have solved.
pilsbandy

Post by pilsbandy »

Anyway I could call in the coast guard for a nudge towards shore? Been puzzling over this one since Thursday night, and my boat hasn't even found a potential course yet.
BensMom

Post by BensMom »

Ashore. My initial “ashore” answer was (I think) wrong. After talking it through with my mom, I think I took the meta a step too far. We’ll see tomorrow!
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

Throwing the towel and staying at the bar for the duration. Nothing even remotely plausible jumping off the grid at me. 🤷‍♂️
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

On shore, pretty sure.
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

I was pretty tripped up by the one obvious clue (which is only really helpful at the last step) and led into all sorts of strange, twisty and dead-ended rabbit holes. Things finally came together this morning, bright and early. Great puzzle, Matt, and Happy Father's Day to all you dads!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Ashore! Was in Newport, RI this week and didn't get a chance to work on this one until now. Nice mechanism!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Don’t forget Isaac’s Last Call zoom tonight at 8PM Eastern.

Share rabbit holes, get help if needed, generally discuss the puzzle.

And when everyone is done with WSJ, we can also discuss other puzzles if people wish. Like, say, today’s Sunday Summer Substitute meta that I just happen to have written;) and you can find at
viewtopic.php?t=2290
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

If I was unmarried, I’m all suited up to apply for the position of Mrs. @Darth.
Just coming in from working in the garden in my Darth rain gear.
Probable chances Zero
Attachments
IMG_9133.jpeg
KscX

Post by KscX »

Ashore- I’m turning into a Sunday starter, Sunday solver. Happy for a three week streek. And I have a Monday question.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Checking in for the final leaderboard from the beautiful Liriodendron Mansion in Bel Air, MD, summer home of Dr. Howard Atwood Kelly (a surgeon who was one of the founders of Johns Hopkins Hospital), his wife, and their nine children. Medical Muggles have doubtless heard of -- or even asked for -- a Kelly clamp; yep, he invented it!
On shore with varying levels of certainty are Dickie_Dunn, kwyjibo, Cindy N, Ben B, Olivia L, Secret Adversary, Ben's Mom, Tony Robots, Debbie Rudy, Cap'n Rick, and KscX. Keeping Isaac company are Pilsbandy and Aragorn.
@Bob cruise director will be back next week to assume his regular duties, but it's been a pleasure filling in for him!
Attachments
lirio1.jpg
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

For all the dads and grandpas out there....
(Pineapple upside-down cake)
20230618_201259.jpg