MEOW #132 What in the Name of God?

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat: Fun one.
Mid-way through, I realized I've seen this meta before. So I got to enjoy it twice. Thanks Dr Tom!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Cat is gone! Thanks Dr. Tom!
Heidi
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

OTC!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

KayW wrote: ↑Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:36 pm :crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat: Fun one.
Mid-way through, I realized I've seen this meta before. So I got to enjoy it twice. Thanks Dr Tom!
Hmmm, did you send me this picture before.... :)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Jeremy Smith wrote: ↑Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:33 pmOTC!
To which I am compelled to answer ASPIRIN!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Crosshare says I got it (in spite of myself). Thanks, @DrTom!
Cynthia
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

This was much easier once I actually read the instructions πŸ™‚
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

DrTom wrote: ↑Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:01 pm
Better yet, ASA *

* Another Sofa Absconded
Berto

Post by Berto »

Got it by a whisker.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Jeremy Smith wrote: ↑Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:56 pm
DrTom wrote: ↑Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:01 pm
Better yet, ASA *

* Another Sofa Absconded
Or even better acetylsalicylic acid...just to show we are not barking up the wrong tree!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well my goodness, just shows that one never knows. I thought sure this was going to be (1) harder (2) less popular than my latest few, and it looks like I may be wrong. The list of people who have released the felines is:

1 hoover
2 benchen71
3 Meg
4 Ergcat
5 Cap'n Rick
6 rjy
7 boharr
8 Cinny
9 Tom Wilson
10 Hector
11 Bird Lives
12 Whimsy
13 MatthewL
14 lbray53
15 Chris Kochmanski
16 Pair O Ducks
17 Wwoozy
18 Carolyn
19 ReB
20 kurtalert
21 JM
22 DebbieC
23 kymike
24 KayW
25 SirMrGuy
26 markhr
27 Dow Jones
28 heidi
29 Jaclyn
30 Jeremy Smith
31 emmie
32 Laura M
33 Bbaack
34 Cindy
35 CPJohnson
36 SJMcK
37 Berto
38 HeadInHome
39 BarbaraK
40 Gutman

That my well be a Day 1 record for me, and still 6 days to go!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: ↑Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:35 am I always discourage pen, I don't want any BIC ering...
oof

πŸ˜†
ajk

Post by ajk »

Got the mechanism yesterday, but didn't have time to actually submit until today. Ironically, the delay was cause by being on vacation in a relevant place
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: ↑Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:13 pm
DrTom wrote: ↑Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:35 am I always discourage pen, I don't want any BIC ering...
oof

πŸ˜†
OOF, gleefully acknowledged and accepted! I won't say it is my Everest of puns, but it might be my Mont Blanc.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Thursday Solvers:

41 Trypmom
42 clev
43 ajk
44 Al Sisti
45 Darrell
46 DIS
47 frostyjhammer
48 katiedid

Eight more hardy souls have freed the kitty. Nudge day tomorrow if anyone needs them (I'll post even if you don't!). Don't know what my competition is because I have not tried the WSJCC; tradition dictates that it be done with Friday breakfast which is often grilled ciabatta with butter, peanut butter and honey. Certainly not very healthy but truthfully I don't care because it is my treat for the week. As for healthy eating, remember that Euell Gibbons, a natural food and healthy eating proponent, died 10 years younger than I am (and in an odd coincidence, in the same hospital in which I was born!). For the record, the only stick I have ever eaten was a licorice stick and never anything more barky than chocolate bark.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Three more to add:
49 sw3aterCS
50 Iopmueller
51 Mr. Tex

Slowing down quite a bit. OK, let me try some nudges.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

NUDGES

The title pretty much tells you what you are looking for, and it not mild epithets

I told you there was an important one of seven missing, so six must be in the grid

Turns out they are in the grid and they are symmetrically

Don't limit yourself to Gods of only one Nationality
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Gosh, and we were doing so good. Only one more solver on the board:

51 Mr. Tex

But, it does push me over the half-century mark. Maybe if people clear the MGWCC and WSJ off their plates they will turn back to this for God's sake. :)
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Got to the puzzle late this week...no nudges needed...just some help from Mr. Google. Thanks Dr Tom!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well now, some more solvers! So, contrary to what some believe I am playing with MORE than a full deck, having passed the 52 mark!

52 Qmark
53 edestlin
54 MikeyG