Chain Link Offense - June 2023

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
kurtalert

Chain Link Offense - June 2023

Post by kurtalert »

Pete's June puzzle is up-

https://pmxwords.com/2023-puzzle-6-chain-link-offense/

The meta is as follows: one of the long Across entries in this puzzle needs to be replaced by the meta answer, an alternative rock band of the same length, in order for the theme to make sense.

This might be the first puzzle where I've ever submitted an answer that didn't turn out to be right, unless his site is just being very slow to update. I'm positive my answer fits the mechanism and makes perfect sense- and is definitely not a weird rabbit hole. Wonder if it'll eventually get accepted as an alternative answer.
boharr

Post by boharr »

On the board.
docison

Post by docison »

On the board and also solved the red herring! Enjoyed the puzzle but didn't particularly enjoy the search for the meta answer.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

On the board… @kurtalert feel free to PM me if you want to talk about the answer.
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

sharkicicles wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:13 pm On the board… @kurtalert feel free to PM me if you want to talk about the answer.
Cool, thanks! I'm trying to PM but it's seemingly not sending- got a weird error and now it looks stuck in my Outbox, with no "re-send" option in there. Strange.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

On the board!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

On the board!
Cindy Heisler
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

docison wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:07 pm On the board and also solved the red herring! Enjoyed the puzzle but didn't particularly enjoy the search for the meta answer.
I PM'ed you back - but I have no idea if my PMs are working. Everything seems to get stuck in the Outbox and never transfers to Sent Messages. Can't figure out if anything is actually going out.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

By the very nature of the prompt, the meta is intriguing, but I haven't had too much luck yet. Will keep noodling with it!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

I'm on the board.
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/
docison

Post by docison »

kurtalert wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:03 pm
docison wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:07 pm On the board and also solved the red herring! Enjoyed the puzzle but didn't particularly enjoy the search for the meta answer.
I PM'ed you back - but I have no idea if my PMs are working. Everything seems to get stuck in the Outbox and never transfers to Sent Messages. Can't figure out if anything is actually going out.
The way this PM'ing works, messages will show up in your Outbox until the recipient reads it, at which point they show up as sent. So I did in fact receive your message (and responded).
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

docison wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:20 pm
kurtalert wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:03 pm
The way this PM'ing works, messages will show up in your Outbox until the recipient reads it, at which point they show up as sent. So I did in fact receive your message (and responded).
Ah ha! Good to know, thanks for the tip.
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

On the board! :)

Steven McKinney
KayW

Post by KayW »

:notes: On the board.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Ditto, ditto, and ditto!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

It seems I am in the "hoping for an alternate answer to be accepted" camp...

... and I'm on the board! Maybe it was just a slow site update? MMMM is usually close to instant, so it definitely had me worried!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

On the board! It was a scavenger hunt but is a 100%-er.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:34 pm On the board! It was a scavenger hunt but is a 100%-er.
Same, but phew, got it!
Ray
Berto

Post by Berto »

On the board!
But definitely needed a help from the Google band…
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Saw the mechanism immediately -- I'd been thinking of constructing a puzzle with something similar. But man, it's surprising how many lists of alternative rock bands you can find on the Internet that don't include this one.
Jay