June, 4, 2023 - "Rapid Rise"

Puzzles from one of the best in the business which include themed crosswords and metas.
Sunday Crossword by Evan Birnholz
Washington Post Sunday puzzle reveals.
Joe Ross

June, 4, 2023 - "Rapid Rise"

Post by Joe Ross »

June 4, 2023 - "Rapid Rise"

A themed crossword from Evan.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Rapid Rise
By Evan Birnholz
Heidi
KayW

Post by KayW »

Fun solve and theme.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Coming up right behind you, Kay!
Untitledmohegan.png
Mohegan Bluffs stairway

A bit trickier for me than usual, but thanks as always to Evan.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I solved it. I got stuck a couple of times and I had to put it down and come back to it, but I made it through! Fun theme. I thought the symmetry was a little odd - I don't think I've ever solved a puzzle with mirror symmetry rotated to the side (it must have a name, but I don't know what it is). It was a bit disconcerting and it took me a few minutes to figure out why. I'm still trying to figure out if there was a reason for it from the constructor's viewpoint.
All in all it was a good puzzle and I enjoyed it.
ebirnholz

Post by ebirnholz »

Schmeel wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:41 pm I solved it. I got stuck a couple of times and I had to put it down and come back to it, but I made it through! Fun theme. I thought the symmetry was a little odd - I don't think I've ever solved a puzzle with mirror symmetry rotated to the side (it must have a name, but I don't know what it is). It was a bit disconcerting and it took me a few minutes to figure out why. I'm still trying to figure out if there was a reason for it from the constructor's viewpoint.
All in all it was a good puzzle and I enjoyed it.
It's usually not my first choice, but top-bottom symmetry is something I've often used for puzzles featuring diagonal theme answers, like in "Going Upstairs" from July 2021 or "Split Ends" from Sept. 2018. It's sometimes the only way I can accommodate a revealer that doesn't have a corresponding match, as well as the diagonal words, as well as a grid that has legit entries before and after the diagonals.

Basically, it's just how the grid worked out.