MEOW #131 The Optimist

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

MEOW #131 The Optimist

Post by DrTom »

The Optimist Banner.jpg
A person we all admire, the optimist manages to take everything life gives them and derive maximum enjoyment. Here is hoping you can find the good and enjoyable in this puzzle even if it is a bit late. Some glitches in Josh's schedule and the fact that I was out of town delayed this, but I hope you find time to give it a try before the WSJ and MGWCC hit (or after you breeze through those!)

The answer is a classic summer treat

Fair warning that this is not a puzzle that will spell out an answer, you will have to use some deduction to solve the meta. As such it may be a 2 or 2.5, but once you see it you will know if you have the correct answer. Obviously if you need help PM me, and there will be nudges on Friday (or before if needed)

Tom

"The Optimist" - Crosshare

"The Optimist" - PUZ

"The Optimist" - PDF

NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
markhr

Post by markhr »

The cat is free.
A Dr. Tom classic. Clever and funny.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

markhr wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:08 pm The cat is free.
A Dr. Tom classic. Clever and funny.
Thank you for solving! I was afraid it was too esoteric to be of general appeal. It appears, thankfully, that I was wrong.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Thanks Tom as always! And sorry everyone. I think I will be needing to take another interregnum from the MEOW for a while due to PhD work. But we will have guest constructors whenever there is something available
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

madhatter5 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:52 am Thanks Tom as always! And sorry everyone. I think I will be needing to take another interregnum from the MEOW for a while due to PhD work. But we will have guest constructors whenever there is something available
Git'er done! 👍🏻🤞🏻📚
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

madhatter5 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:52 am Thanks Tom as always! And sorry everyone. I think I will be needing to take another interregnum from the MEOW for a while due to PhD work. But we will have guest constructors whenever there is something available
There is never any apology needed from the Madhatter since you have given us hours of delight for many months with puzzles that always delight. Everyone understands that pursuit of your career is of many magnitudes of importance greater than your pursuit of the well disguised meta answer. You take care of cherchez la diplôme, not cherchez la AHA!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

The cat has escaped, but he needed more help than I gave him. Thanks, Dr Tom!
Cindy Heisler
MMe

Post by MMe »

The good doc is more than mad enough to wear the hat when his energies and willingness permit.

The cat is out of the half-full glass; thanks!
boharr

Post by boharr »

No cat. No more. Thanks, DrTom.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

The cat has escaped! I am naming him Houdini. I have not quite figured out how he did it but Crosshare says he is gone!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
woozy

Post by woozy »

MMe wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:11 am
The cat is out of the half-full glass; thanks!
Well, dang... that was about the only metanism I could think of.

Now I continue to have utterly no idea.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Hmmm..of COURSE this is playing a lot more difficult than I thought, it wouldn't be one of mine if it wasn't. Having seen a lot of the Crosshare submissions I am detecting that people are seeing "some" of what I wanted them to but not making the connection. So, time for early nudges:

The title is always important of course, but the intro to this one is also important because it was meant to put a phrase in your mind that would help you solve

A lot of you have noted the 8 similar items in the GRID but are thinking about them in a different manner. What do all of those have in common, or rather are infamous for

Intuitive metas...there outta be a law!

When life, or DrTom, gives you something and you are the eternal optimist, what are you going to do?
rjy

Post by rjy »

Nudged to the official answer, but I had some good ones along the way… thanks DrT!
Ray
woozy

Post by woozy »

Okay... I'm going to just entirely reedit this post to a comment that sometimes its amazing what you just don't see. Don't know why I didn't see those things that nudge 2 thought didn't even needed to be pointed out. But dang I was blind to them. Have no idea why.

I'd like to think if I had seen them I'd have known what to do with them. But maybe not.

=====

Only heard of 4 of the 8 things though. I'm beginning to see how people who don't like Tarot cards felt last week.
Last edited by woozy on Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Well, good grief, of course. I got it, with all the nudges! Thanks, @DrTom!
Cynthia
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat:
The cat has been nudged out of his predicament. Fun one - thanks Dr Tom!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I loved this one for reasons I’ll explain after the deadline. Thanks DrTom!
hoover

Post by hoover »

If you had chosen to study crossword puzzle construction, constructors, solvers, or online forums/fora, then you wouldn't have to take an interregnum. Is it too late to change your field of study?
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Cat has been loosed. Thanks for the puzzle, Tom!
Matthew
ReB

Post by ReB »

Really clever...[can't say more while the puzzle is live]. First two nudges sufficed to release the cat.