MGWCC #782 — “Hear, Here!”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:12 pm OH SNAP!! I submitted an answer that made perfect sense and was gotten directly from the right places in the right order. Then I thought of a further step that could be taken, which ALSO would yield a good answer.. and THAT is probably the right one. How do we email Matt directly? I’ve done that before and he’s accepted my alternate answer as valid. (I’m betting some others will step in this trap… hope it’s unintended!)

UPDATE: I NEED ALL YOUR SYMPATHY, Muggles. What I had thought was a perfect alternate answer (which I found and submitted first) was OFF by a letter because of my sloppy circling. I just busted my 100+ streak.

I need a drink… can we do that in THIS thread too? Isaaaaac???
Sorry to hear that. Had me worried since I didn’t see myself on the leaderboard but he refreshed it just now and I’m on at 58. Not feeling lucky tonight because I made a small (and may I add, totally legal in Illinois) bet on the Heat, because there’s no way they case lose 3 in a row in the finals… right? RIGHT? (Checks score again… grr)
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

As @Benchen reminded us last week, this was definitely a first-world problem. I am still grateful to be alive, full belly, comfortable, and puzzling it out in beautiful NC.

Happy weekend, all, and hearty THANK YOU to all who have sacrificed to gain or preserve freedom for others. Salute!!
The other Wendy. :roll:
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Waiting for confirmation of the beam up, but confident on the answer.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I’m sitting looking at this on a phone knowing I am never going to see what I need to. I’m away on some family business and will not have the time, or even dare to take it becsuse this is a rather somber visit. So I’ll just be happy for my friends who have solved (or almost solved, sorry other Wendy) and wait to start my nes streak. Happy Memorial Day alll!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

this one's solveable on a phone if you find the time to work on it
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Found my way to what seemed to be the correct airport rather quickly, but had to circle the runway for a awhile until the clouds broke up enough that I got clearance to land. Once on the ground, I had no doubt after I looked around again.

Confirmed at #71 - which can only mean that either a lot of folks are encountering difficulties, or they are busy with holiday plans and thus waiting before turning their attention towards solving. More likely the latter, I'd predict.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

ReB wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:00 am Confirmed at #71 - which can only mean that either a lot of folks are encountering difficulties, or they are busy with holiday plans and thus waiting before turning their attention towards solving. More likely the latter, I'd predict.
In my case, it's the former. Not finding any way into this puzzle. I got so sick of looking at the grid that I went off and constructed another future MOAT!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
KayW

Post by KayW »

Well. I solved A Patrick Berry puzzle. Saturday's excellent WSJ variety, Section Eight. Still staring at THE Patrick Berry puzzle :shock: :shock: :shock:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

benchen71 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:01 am
ReB wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:00 am Confirmed at #71 - which can only mean that either a lot of folks are encountering difficulties, or they are busy with holiday plans and thus waiting before turning their attention towards solving. More likely the latter, I'd predict.
In my case, it's the former. Not finding any way into this puzzle. I got so sick of looking at the grid that I went off and constructed another future MOAT!
I always write down a list of possible metanisms as I'm working and the best of those that aren't the actual one, I note that for later to possibly make a puzzle around! @BarbaraK did that a while back with a presidential WSJ!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wonder of wonders, something caught my eye snd, several AARGHS and DARNITS later I managed to find my way home in #82! I’m counting this a very good week-end
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe

Post by Joe »

I know I should be doing something on this beautiful day other than going crazy with this meta, but here I am. I've found a thing that is impossible to ignore, but I can't do anything with it or find any other instances of it. But man is it shiny. This is me just hoping that by posting this, something will come into focus.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
ricky

Post by ricky »

This was a fair puzzle, but quite, as Matt describes them, Simple And Difficult!

There is one really big red herring that in retrospect must be totally accidental, but it kept me on the wrong path for about two hours.

I solved this one by disconnecting from the grid entirely and thinking about the puzzle while lying down thanks to my stupid back (having a lot of back problems these days - MRI on Wednesday).

Came in 42nd 6 hours after publication, which suggests it's a stumper for many.

Good luck to everyone who hasn't gotten it yet. I would offer nudges but I think it would be tough to provide them without quickly giving the game away.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

On the board at #91! Is that applause I hear for my oh-so-rare week 4 solo solve?

And a very loud “Hear! Hear! “ for Patrick and his meta today. ❤️👏🏻
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

On the leaderboard. Not as bad as most week 4 metas!
Cindy Heisler
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Still searching for that lightbulb to go off but every time I get an idea I can't make it work. Congrats to those who have solved.
Berto

Post by Berto »

Very clever once you see it.
Needed a bit of Discord to get across the line, group solve submitted, awaiting beam…
PuzNewbie

Post by PuzNewbie »

I finally got it, but wow did I go down a rabbit hole! Was there an unintended red-herring? Great metanism!
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

On the board at #110, very non-solo.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!

With some guidance.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Kids gone so MGWCC time! Posted and awaiting confirmation. Some very interesting things to chat about Wednesday. Matt claims not to deliberately put red herrings in…not sure we’ve heard the same from Mr Berry.

Update: beamed!!!!
Last edited by Streroto on Mon May 29, 2023 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.