Providence Pentominoes Puzzle (2011)

Enter if you dare!
Andrew Bradburn

Providence Pentominoes Puzzle (2011)

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Hello all,

I thought I would share a couple of cryptic crossword puzzles I created some years back. This one was created for the 2011 Convention of the National Puzzler's League, which was held in Providence, RI that year. In the NPL, almost everyone uses a 'nom' or 'nom de puzzle' instead of their real names (this practice goes back decades, as a way to eliminate class or other possible social distinctions amongst members, i.e those additional letters that go after the names of those with advanced degrees). This appears to be true also of most crossword setters in the UK. I chose the nom Jigsaw, as I have been doing jigsaw puzzles almost my entire life, and they are my favorite form of puzzle. That is why it appears in the byline. I chose that nom before any Saw movies had come out (and I don't intend to ever see any of them), so I hope you will not be taken aback. And this particular cryptic IS a jigsaw puzzle, and will have to be printed out in order to solve, as scissors will be involved at the end.

One other note: In case you are in the habit of using lowercase letters when solving crossword puzzles on paper, I suggest here you only use CAPS to fill in the grid for best results.

Andrew

Providence Pentominoes Puzzle by JIGSAW PDF