Postcards from the Edge

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:52 am
I can't tell if Woozy has solved!
Not even remotely close. I'm as lost as I've ever been.
Two more nudges:
Think of ONE word that matches ALL of the perimeter words (e.g., blood ____, Chase ____).
My finance-major nephew solved this puzzle quickly.
Not even remotely close. I'm as lost as I've ever been.

EDIT: Okay.... Finally got it. Dang, but I can be dense sometimes. A really good meta and a very clever idea. It'd have been a great pin drop moment if a pin could ever drop through a brain full of cotton.

EDIT square root of pi: A weird bowling pin in tapioca pudding moment Found a word the followed CHASE.... only one of two that I can think of that can. I saw it could also follow CRYO and BLOOD. But there was simply no way it could follow any of the other nine. However not having anything else I submitted WEST word. It failed. (Think that out a bit.... X word only makes sense for CHASE|CRYO|BLOOD word but I submitted WEST word .) Then I though of a place not YYYY word and it was the correct answer! But how could that be when none of the X word made any sense for 9 of the 12 words? .... Then I said them aloud.... *oh.....*
Last edited by woozy on Thu May 25, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Oh Wendy! What fun! I am ashamed to say that I needed the first group of nudges to push me off the couch. (I should have seen this right away because I have vacationed in this exact area many, many times!) Awesome debut!
Sara
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Bonus points, @woozy, for "square root of pi." (And I still want to solve your recent "M for Meta" - haven't gotten to it yet!)

I think I know what I'm supposed to do here but nothing yet! Solid fill and can't wait to see if an epiphany drops before @Wendy Walker comes back from said place! (No vacations for me this year, unless I'm vacation to my bed and sleeping in it, haha.)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:16 pm Brava WLW wherever you are. It's so satisfying For both constructor and solver when the mechanism, the title, and the answer all fit together as they of course do here.
Absolutely!

I can't wait to see how they do.

Edit: Finally, finally. Please ignore the 10 or 12 previous submissions, bahaha. Had a smidgen of the right idea, but the nudges confirmed it and cleared away some rabbit holes (and still I floundered for a bit). Absolutely well done!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I returned yesterday from a wonderful vacation in the OUTER BANKS of North Carolina, which is where the Wright Brothers made their first flight in 1903 (to be specific, at a sand dune in Kill Devil Hills, now the Wright Brothers National Monument).
Seventy-three of you realized that the entries around the "outer" part of the grid (e.g., Swiss, chase, blood) each made a phrase when joined with the word "bank" --> OUTER BANKS.
Our randomly drawn winner is Anita & Steve, and this week's prize is a splendid book called "First Flight: The Wright Brothers and the Invention of the Airplane," which I purchased on Friday at our visit to the aforementioned National Monument.
Thank you all for solving!
Tamara did this beautiful reveal using photos from our vacation: clockwise from upper left, me descending the Bodie Island Lighthouse (30 seconds after we walked out onto the balcony, the ranger clocked the wind at 35 mph and ordered us back inside); the Wright Brothers plane; view over the Atlantic Ocean from our cottage; sunrise over heavy surf.

reveal.png
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Outstanding debut, WW!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Abide wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:29 pm Outstanding debut, WW!
Thanks! I couldn't have done it without your help!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Got to this one late...but didn't peek & got it without nudges...thanks Wendy!
Anita

Post by Anita »

It was an impressive construction, so many theme entries! And hooray! how cool that we won! <3

Anita & Steve