Postcards from the Edge

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Wow. Fun grid and it seems I should have all I need but... gee, I don't see it. I'm going to take that as a sign this is a really good puzzle.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

DebbieC wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:36 pm
DrTom wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:00 pm Well darn Wendy, I'm not seeing it. Maybe time to walk away and come back to it. Love some of your fill though; cheese that is not all there was a favorite, and Yinglish. I'll bet the under 40 crowd had no idea about a sardine can key though!

Tom
I didn't know they still make them that way! Mine have pull tabs. :D
I remember when Spam also had a key and a tab!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Managed to "crack the code", fun puzzle and super job for an inaugural construction. Grid was just hard enough, mechanism was well disguised and there were enough rabbit holes to have you hopping all over the place. Enjoyed it, now do more!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I was concerned this one might be TOO tough, but you've come through brilliantly!
Test solvers: Abide, Sisti, Cap'n Rick, Boharr. Solvers (in no specific order): Ky-Mike, Sew Young, Chris Kochmanski, Schmeel, AJK, Bird Lives, HeadinHome, BarbaraK, Meg, Whimsy, Cindy W, CP Johnson, Anita, Dr. Tom, MKMF, Berto, Hector, IK Snamhcok, BenChen 71, Bbaack, Heidi, DIS, Kurtalert, LauraM, Anita & Steve, CBarbee002.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

zzhole.png
The dirt was flying for a while, but it's all good now!
Literally, very good work, Wendy!
Congratulations on your double debut and enjoy!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Yay... We solved before the nudges! What a lovely debut @Wendy Walker !
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Leaderboard update while the internet is functioning we are having VERY gusty weather here.
TeamDoubleTow, Lbray53, and Tyrpmom have solved, bringing the total to 26.
I tend to classify metas into involving either the "meaning" of the words or their characteristics (e.g., length, common letters). This one falls into the "meaning" category.
That having been said, what is a word that would fit with the perimeter words?
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :couch_and_lamp:
Nudged out of my own vacation spot.

You are on a roll!! Fantastic meta and construction.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Nudged across the line. Enjoy your vacation!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

OTC with the nudges. Wendy, I hope your vacation is less complicated than the mechanism I was trying to pursue! Have a great time, and thanks for the puzzle.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Wendy Walker wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:37 am Leaderboard update while the internet is functioning we are having VERY gusty weather here.
I tend to classify metas into involving either the "meaning" of the words or their characteristics (e.g., length, common letters). This one falls into the "meaning" category.
@Wendy Walker I put all the relevant information along with the spoilers in Chat GBT and it came back with

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

So my conclusion is that Wendy is visiting Mary Poppins.

And then I figured that could not be right so I tried it again and got

Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg

And because that is a real lake, it must be the right answer.
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Wed May 24, 2023 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
rjy

Post by rjy »

Pretty great puzzle, Wendy! Good metanism, nice construction, and certainly beaucoup d'rabbit-holes - seemingly with quicksand in them! Could not crack this nut nudgelessly, but I have quite the blind spot sometimes. Don't stop at two!!
Ray
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Wonderful puzzle Wendy, I hope there are many more to come. I am off the couch thanks to the nudges. Dohhhh
ReB

Post by ReB »

Off the couch following your gentle nudges. Delightful puzzle.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

OTC..... didn't use the nudges.
Great first meta... congrats
woozy

Post by woozy »

Wendy Walker wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:37 am Leaderboard update while the internet is functioning we are having VERY gusty weather here.
Wow... just not getting it... Maybe I don't know what "perimeter words" means.... But when I google search .... I'm just not getting it...

Wow. Just wow.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

I found this last night in my meta folder. I hadn't even done the grid yet! But I'm glad I found it. Great puzzle!! And I'm off the couch and did not use nudges. Thanks, Wendy.
Cindy Heisler
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Nudged off the couch. Great MMM debut, Wendy! Enjoy your vacation!
Konnie
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

A total of 51 folks have left the couch! Joining the earlier solvers are Kay W, Hoover, Mark Woychick, RJY, Minimuggle, ReB, JHSeeman, Cinny, ImOnToo, Cate C, Frankie Heck, Pair O Ducks, Hoover, JM, DannyVee, Brenner TJ, Kamashdad, Debbie C, David, Carolyn, Markhr, Richard, Team Double Tow, Tyrpmom, and Lbray53.
I can't tell if Woozy has solved!
Two more nudges:
Think of ONE word that matches ALL of the perimeter words (e.g., blood ____, Chase ____).
My finance-major nephew solved this puzzle quickly.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:52 am A total of 51 folks have left the couch! Joining the earlier solvers are Kay W, Hoover, Mark Woychick, RJY, Minimuggle, ReB, JHSeeman, Cinny, ImOnToo, Cate C, Frankie Heck, Pair O Ducks, Hoover, JM, DannyVee, Brenner TJ, Kamashdad, Debbie C, David, Carolyn, Markhr, Richard, Team Double Tow, Tyrpmom, and Lbray53.
I can't tell if Woozy has solved!
Two more nudges:
Think of ONE word that matches ALL of the perimeter words (e.g., blood ____, Chase ____).
My finance-major nephew solved this puzzle quickly.
Well, that second nudge was possibly the best meta nudge ever IMO.
Finally off the couch, Wendy.
Great job on both of the puzzles.
Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation and your second career as a cruciverbalist!