MGWCC #781 — “Square Meal”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

This took us a while but we enjoyed the aha! Masterful!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Better-eyed Better-Half did the grid heavy lifting, and I got to come in for the meta. What fun! Submitted with confidence.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Well, that was time consuming, but fun in the end.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!

Fairly tough grid; I had to google in a couple of areas. Meta then came pretty quickly.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I believe I am beamed with a little nudge but awaiting confirmation. Beautiful construction.... Very impressive
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Holy Cow! I was lost, lost, lost and stuck on step one. Joe Ross nudged me and I interpreted it all wrong getting me even more lost. So I went back to something I had seen earlier and THEN I saw what Joe was gently trying to tell me. Answer submitted, but I am almost 100% sure I have permission to beam aboard. I am ABSOLUTELY in awe of the talent it takes to (1) come up with that idea (2) execute that idea. About the time I get feeling pretty smug about my own metas I see somehting like this and realize I am, comparatively, a kid throwing stones at the side of a barn versus a fire control technician launching a Patriot missile at a moving target 100 miles away. However, missiles don't make people chuckle, the answer to this Meta did.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Solo solve, I am so happy.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:16 pm Answer submitted, but I am almost 100% sure I have permission to beam aboard.
262. DrTom 🔟 05/21 - 22:56

Nice work, Thomas!

99 & 64/100% you.

36/100‰ "Dude: You have it solved."
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:45 am
DrTom wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:16 pm Answer submitted, but I am almost 100% sure I have permission to beam aboard.
262. DrTom 🔟 05/21 - 22:56

Nice work, Thomas!

99 & 64/100% you.

36/100‰ "Dude: You have it solved."
Joe is being modest as usual, he is a superb nudger because he pokes you enough to make you think without going "here it is, here, here, look here" (except for those times when I have been standing on the answer for days, missing what is in plain sight and he has to slap me along-side my dense noggin - and that HAS figuratively happened).

Anyway I am glad to be #262 aboard the Enterprise and still marvel at the construction. This might have my Orca vote, although the year is young.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Impressive! Enjoyed this one.
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

beamed up...enjoyed this one after having no success last week
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I'm ready to beam up. This one took me a lot longer than it should have.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Don’t think Matt mentioned a deadline, but I assume it will be Wednesday, so no spoilers until then
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Came here looking for the due date, Covid symptoms showed up on Friday and I’m only now getting a chance to take a look. So does a Saturday publish mean a Wednesday deadline?Still time to solve and submit (assuming my befoggled brain is up to the challenge?)
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

More importantly than a successful solve, best wishes for a mild bout, and a quick and complete recovery!

And a successful solve, too, of course.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Just tried to submit my answer, but alas it says submissions are now closed. That's a bummer, I've been working on it all evening and was excited to crack it solo.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

HoldThatThought wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:35 pm More importantly than a successful solve, best wishes for a mild bout, and a quick and complete recovery!

And a successful solve, too, of course.
Thank you, that's very kind! Feeling nearly back to normal, only 3-4 days in, so feeling very fortunate... Hope there are no surprises in store.

And yes, I solved it, but apparently submitted too late... :roll:
MMe

Post by MMe »

tonyrobots wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:13 pm Just tried to submit my answer, but alas it says submissions are now closed. That's a bummer, I've been working on it all evening and was excited to crack it solo.
Email it to Matt
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

tonyrobots wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:13 pm Just tried to submit my answer, but alas it says submissions are now closed. That's a bummer, I've been working on it all evening and was excited to crack it solo.
You are on the leaderboard at #359! The website shows that pop-up of "Submissions are now closed" whenever something is submitted after noon on Tuesday, even if Matt has extended the deadline. The answers still get through and Matt will count them based on the revised deadline.
DebbieC

Post by DebbieC »

So sorry.
Did Matt state that the deadline was a day later because of the delayed release or did we all just assume it? I tried messaging him but got no answer. I was trying for the Buzzer Beater achievement so submitted just before noon Tues. And then they kept accepting answers..... :roll: