"Long Road Ahead" May 19, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

flamingbear wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:49 pm I'm mostly suck at the moment so count me on the ship. Been a while since I've tried a WSJ puzzle too.
I'm sure that you meant to type "stuck". Aye? :)
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

On shore! Only figuratively but I am sitting outside in my relaxation station enjoying a coffee ale and 70 degree weather.
Colin

Post by Colin »

At sea, silly me.
Hope burrows ebb tomorrow,
Then beach within reach!
One world. One planet. One future.
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

This NC Tar Heel is on shore. Beer me. Meta and grid solved. 100% percent on the solution. ( I like it when there is no ambiguity)
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

We watch only one show here on Isaac's TV.
It's about a boat. Don't change the channel.

mrmd

Post by mrmd »

Close to reaching for the Wendy phone, and then I noticed something which connected to an earlier thought and here I am on shore! Happy to provide nudges.
CdnMG

Post by CdnMG »

Was about to give up and thought well maybe I should try one more thing. Turns out that was the winning ticket! Ashore and ready for a glass of sauvignon blanc.
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

Late Saturday Muggling and reached the shore! Enjoyed this one but then again we enjoy them all.
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

On shore!
PhantomPhan

Post by PhantomPhan »

Hadn't had a chance to look until this evening. Safely ashore!

Delivered 3 wedding cakes, a dessert table (brownies, macorons, cupcakes) and 600 cupcakes to a non-profit event. One more wedding cake to go this weekend!
Attachments
2023-05-20-17-06-24-080~2.jpg
...Remember there are worse things than a shattered chandelier...

If you see I'm ashore and need a nudge, feel free to message me.
Scott Lindholm

Post by Scott Lindholm »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:45 am
Scott Lindholm wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:23 pm Done and done. Our daughter and future son-in-law are Brewers fans, so I thought I'd make a little adjustment to their dog's collar and see if they noticed. All I know is, Carter seemed happier afterwards--his mom and dad, not so much...
@Scott Lindholm I bet that with muggle support, we can supply your daughter with tags from every team in MLB. I can definitely get a Sox (the red ones and not the white ones) tag
Appreciate the thought, the other daughter and I already have some semi-devious plans of our own involving tags and an alternate address if Carter gets lost. Should be a great wedding present.
Merry Potter

Post by Merry Potter »

Ashore! Got a late start but not that late! Impressed with the crowd. I had a hard time this one even though I was sure of the answer just needed to find the mechanism to swim there. I guess this was a previously used mechanism I hadn’t seen. Glad it’s not Sunday ☀️😊. HS graduation downtown tomorrow at Taft Theatre. How fast can you read names?
If I don't win a mug, I can always make one... ;) but it won't have the same cachet.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

escapeartist wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:12 am Ack! (side eye at BK)
On the boat with my BFF Isaac.
Terribly difficult grid, and contest same vibes.
I have 3 days to let this percolate into a solve. :)
On Shore

I swear I tried the mechanism on Thursday and it didn't work, but perhaps I was rushing myself

"Now, don't be hasty" - Treebeard
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

Ashore!

After sleeping on this it came to me.

I'm off to explore London however so no libations quite yet!

Cheers!
🌴🍹
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Scott Lindholm wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:11 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:45 am
Scott Lindholm wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:23 pm Done and done. Our daughter and future son-in-law are Brewers fans, so I thought I'd make a little adjustment to their dog's collar and see if they noticed. All I know is, Carter seemed happier afterwards--his mom and dad, not so much...
@Scott Lindholm I bet that with muggle support, we can supply your daughter with tags from every team in MLB. I can definitely get a Sox (the red ones and not the white ones) tag
Appreciate the thought, the other daughter and I already have some semi-devious plans of our own involving tags and an alternate address if Carter gets lost. Should be a great wedding present.
Since days of bumper stickers are all but gone, team-logoed license plates can have allegiances realigned with careful measurements and patient searching for correctly-sized stickers. From experience, I know it can take brothers-in-law weeks and months of dirty looks, angry honks, and single-digit signaling before digging the changes.
femullen

Post by femullen »

I'm wondering if this is a tv show I've ever heard of. If so, it must be "I've Got a Secret."

Been down some very clever rabbit holes. Maybe I'll suggest the mechanisms to Mr. Gaffney.

Ahoy, Isaac!
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
dho

Post by dho »

On shore last night after a necessary and generous nudge.

Don and Lisa
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

PhantomPhan wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:09 pm Hadn't had a chance to look until this evening. Safely ashore!

Delivered 3 wedding cakes, a dessert table (brownies, macorons, cupcakes) and 600 cupcakes to a non-profit event. One more wedding cake to go this weekend!
@PhantomPhan Good luck with the wedding cakes. My wife had a wedding cake business and the delivery was the most stressful part. Getting to the facility and then in from the parking lot can mean moving the cake through a maze. And there is no Plan B.

She also hated doing cupcakes. You can't charge enough to pay for the labor that goes into them.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Zagman49

Post by Zagman49 »

Aground, safe and sound. Clvr pzzl.
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

femullen wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:34 am I'm wondering if this is a tv show I've ever heard of. If so, it must be "I've Got a Secret."

Been down some very clever rabbit holes. Maybe I'll suggest the mechanisms to Mr. Gaffney.

Ahoy, Isaac!
I can safely tell you that this is not an arcane TV show
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen: