MEOW #129 Body Count

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

rjy wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:41 am Debagged the feline, thanks Dr Tom. Some real diabolical cluing in there - groans and chuckles!
Diabolical ✔
Groans ✔✔
Chuckles ✔✔✔✔✔✔✔

Mission accomplished! Thanks for solving
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:00 pm The cat, with all body parts present and accounted for, is out of the bag.
Thankfully you did not have to go into de-tail!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

lbray53 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:58 pm So fun! I would do Dr. Tom’s puzzles just for the fill. As a former EMT I am ashamed to admit that I needed Google.

Favorite clues were 35A, 49A, and 12D. There were a LOT of good ones but these were great. I love the little aha moments going from bewilderment to belly laughs.
Always delighted to confuse and amuse! Oh, and EMT's are allowed to forget things because I know I do!!! Thanks for your kind comments always.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

KayW wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:51 pm :crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat: Thanks for a most fun puzzle and meta. Loved the cluing - particularly 12D. And your rating system, which is spot-on this week - just what the doctor ordered!
I may just have to keep that rating system! Thanks for solving.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

What happens when Elmer Fudd says he has found a picture of a cat with nine lives:

Cat with nine wives.jpg
Last edited by DrTom on Thu May 18, 2023 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Jeepers, I can't believe I needed to be nudged for a "Sniffles/common cold" puzzle! I will put it down to the sore throat I am currently suffering from, which has affected my ability to think clearly. :oops:

Cat is free, but probably doesn't deserve freedom!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well HOT DANG!

1 woozy
2 Cindy Weatherman
3 Hector
4 ChrisKochmanski
5 Schmeel
6 Hooner
7 edestlin
8 boharr
9 Bird Lives
10 whimsy
11 Meg
12 rjy
13 BarbaraK
14 Pair O Ducks
15 Darth
16 Jaclyn
17 MatthewL
18 Carolyn
19 kurtalert
20 Gutman
21 CPJohnson
22 Laura M
23 Bbaack
24 markhr
25 HeadinHome
26 KayW
27 DIS
28 Berto
29 SJMcK
30 JM
31 Darrell
32 benchen71

I've had whole weeks without 32 solvers so I am over the moon! My elation over this has helped with my feeling of being completely adrift on Matt's "week two" (puuulleease!) I mean I finally fought my way into the transporter but a lot of crew helped me there. Thanks to the solvers of Body Count so far.
hoover

Post by hoover »

DrTom wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:06 pm Well HOT DANG!

1 woozy
2 Cindy Weatherman
3 Hector
4 ChrisKochmanski
5 Schmeel
6 Hooner
I may occasionally Hoov, but I never, ever Hoon. :oops:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

hoover wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:15 pm
DrTom wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:06 pm Well HOT DANG!

1 woozy
2 Cindy Weatherman
3 Hector
4 ChrisKochmanski
5 Schmeel
6 Hooner
I may occasionally Hoov, but I never, ever Hoon. :oops:
Whoops, hoon did that?
ajk

Post by ajk »

Looked at it quickly yesterday and didn't see it because <reason>, but jumped out quickly when I went back today. Fun stuff, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Thursday solvers

33 Dow Jones
34 rayyandroid
35 ajk
36 Jimbo
37 andeux

A few more solvers, but of course now it becomes dicey since WSJ and MGW are (1) out (2) coming. At any rate, thank you to all the solvers, a puzzle creator gets their biggest reward from people actually trying and solving their puzzle.

Nudges tomorrow if they are really needed
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Friday Nudge Day:

This is a pretty standard puzzle so there are rather standard nudges. First and foremost, and as usual, read the title!!!

Look through the grid. Do any answers seems to connect to the title?

For those things you saw, how do they relate to the title? (and NO this is not a restatement of Nudge 1)

Those 7 things you found should, if I have done my job right, lead you to 7 letters. How might they do that?
ReB

Post by ReB »

Well I did need some nudging, as well as not mixing up puzzles during the solving process, before I could release the cat.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

ReB wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:53 pm Well I did need some nudging, as well as not mixing up puzzles during the solving process, before I could release the cat.
Well dang, if you can solve mine by using another puzzle you are REALLY a master! I mean I can barely solve one using the correct puzzle.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Cat is out! Didn’t use nudges! Thanks, Dr Tom!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Friday Update:
38 ReB
39 imontoo
40 frostyjhammer
41 Sharkicicles
42 SeamusOL
43 Ergcat

On track to be one of my most popular; no doubt helped by an easier (though certainly not easy) WSJCC and delayed MGWCC. Any further nudges would be like just posting the answer, though if you are struggling, please PM me for some more focused hrlp.
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

didn't get to the puzzle until tonight...cat escaped the bag with no need for nudges. Thanks Dr Tom!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Better late than never. The cat is out! Great clues Dr Tom!
Cindy Heisler
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Cinny wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:59 am Better late than never. The cat is out! Great clues Dr Tom!
Better late than never...hmmm, where have I heard that before recently????

Thanks Cinny
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Three more for Saturday:

44 Tom Wilson
45 Qmark
46 Cinny

Flow is slowing to a trickle, darn MGWCC is probably taking everyone's time, I know it is taking mine!