"Plurality" May 12, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Lots of staring this week to make the meta emerge… and it finally paid off with an answer I wasn’t expecting. Clever puzzle and a speedy race to the shore once finding the right swimming lane. We’ll be celebrating Mother's Day with her favorite pizza and beer… so a double celebration today
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

On shore. Took me awhile to.get it but very nice aha. Really great construction. One of.my favorite metals.
femullen

Post by femullen »

The Smarter Half solved it yesterday morning, and she assured me that I nailed step 1. Then she said what no Muggle should say: "You can do this!"

Still haven't.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
cheryl w

Post by cheryl w »

Solved.
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

“Look, I’m not quite there myself, Peter,” Smiley said quietly. “But nearly I am. Karla’s pulled the Circus inside out; that much I understand, so do you. But there’s a last clever knot, and I can’t undo it. Though I mean to. And if you want a sermon, Karla is not fireproof, because he’s a fanatic. And one day, if I have anything to do with it, that lack of moderation will be his downfall.”
-- David Cornwell
Yesterday, I submitted what I felt absolutely, positively must be the answer. But it was not, in the local vernacular, a lock. Just now, I found the lock. My submittal was correct, so I now declare myself to be on the shore.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles.

We have had steady progress to the shore and now have 10 on the ship enjoying brunch and 196 on the shore.

And don't forget the Last Call zoom call tonight at 8 ET using the link at the top

New to the ship's bar are Deb, Kwyjibo and Dickie Dunn

And getting to the shore are

PQ63
Nlobb
Jarrod
fourletterword
BreeZynCO
Janet
ColeTrain
Mister and Mrs. Squawk
ky-mike
Doug C
PhantomPhan
haydendog
RDaleHall
cbarbee
cheryl w
relic (and Maggie)

By the way, if you are ever going to get a dog, get one like Maggie
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

On shore cruise director! Just missed the roll call but it was a long swim. Son as usual with the inspiration and me with the perspiration. Agree with Bob a solving partner is invaluable to me. Happy Mother’s Day!
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Oops. Missed the noon cutoff. For the record, made it to shore. With confirmation from my solving buddy, knew I was on the right track and just had to take it to its logical conclusion. Thanks, Don!

Happy Mother's Day to all.
Lee-Ann

Post by Lee-Ann »

Hoping for the best, but right now I am on the ship enjoying my time with Issac. I have been down one hundred rabbit holes. I don't know why I am not seeing this one, but it is not coming to me!
Colin

Post by Colin »

No time for crossword,
House-hunting plus Mums to cheer,
HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!
One world. One planet. One future.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

7 straight weeks of shore parties hath left the crew in a bad way.
Fog enshrouds our top gallants. No way home. Asea.
Streak Endth.png
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

Made it to shore with a nudge or two!
Ann

Post by Ann »

On the shore!
DianeA

Post by DianeA »

On shore!!! Was stuck in sick bay for 2 weeks after surgeries for broken femur and humerus (same side of body). Then had been walking around the LIDO deck for therapy. Finally able to visit the lounge, and after my first sip of Sauvignon Blanc in over a month, inspiration helped me to a solid solve.
Took the tender ashore, not able to swim, yet. But the beach is LOVELY!!!
cheekumbaldy

Post by cheekumbaldy »

Made it! What an amazing puzzle! Had to take a Mother’s Day nap before seeing the final step. Thanks Mike!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Mark me ashore. I stumbled after the first step, but a helpful reminder put back on track.
Begbie

Post by Begbie »

On shore. Didn't get to start this until today, and it took a while for the light bulb to go on. Mine's a Guinness.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Celebrating Mother’s Day and my 40th Wedding Anniversary today! I don’t want to brag BUT even after 40 years I can still fit into my Wedding…. HAT! Lol! 😂
BDCD93C6-40DF-485F-A4FE-C4C1A91F65E5.jpeg
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Joepickett wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:22 pm Don't have it yet. Don't think I will.
Ashore now. With help.
femullen

Post by femullen »

Hate to admit that the Smarter Half was right...ashore. Sometimes it surprises me how sharp she is and how dull me.

Let me confess now how wretched will be my July meta record. I will be at sea, literally, in a ketch outbound from Halifax. If we avoid an honorable death with Davy Jones, we will make harbor in Charlotte, Vermont, four weeks later. The scurvy is a plague, but I will bring precautions against it. Gin and lime should do.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.