"Let Stalk Strine" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Let Stalk Strine" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? Look, I couldn't help myself: I hear people pronouncing 52 across wrongly and it grates a little! That was definitely the seed for this meta puzzle. Hopefully, you will be linguistically flexible enough to find your way to the answer, which is a 5-letter word.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Let Stalk Strine - Online Form
Let Stalk Strine - PUZ
Let Stalk Strine - PDF
Let Stalk Strine - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun May 14, 2023 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And if you want a bonus meta, here's one that was constructed by a student in my Year 10 Maths class: https://crosshare.org/crosswords/t4qNbv ... rd-country
If you complete it, make a comment to encourage this budding constructor!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I solved your student's meta, at least.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
rjy

Post by rjy »

lbray53 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:04 am I solved your student's meta, at least.
Same. Got the grid filled on this one - interesting concept - but seems I’ll have to park it ‘til nudge-day
Ray
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

lbray53 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:04 am I solved your student's meta, at least.
Ditto. Now back to language class.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Crossed the ⊥∀OW!
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

As always, I'm grateful for the unlimited tries on Crosshare. I feel like I'm close, but evidently not all the way there yet.
woozy

Post by woozy »

I ... had trouble with the grid.

As for Ben's. Not sure if I can't make my idea work 'cuz Californian is as different from Strine as you can get, or if I simply have the wrong idea. Can't make it five letters.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

grid done...wrote down a few things but not seeing a path across the moat. might have to table this for a while.....
markhr

Post by markhr »

Crossed the moat. It's not easy talkin' Strine.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: Fun one - thanks, Ben! Now to try your student's...

And solved that one even faster. Well done! When I was that age, I wasn't even solving crosswords. Let alone metas. And I have yet to construct either :lol: I'm glad you are starting them young.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Crossed the Moat and into the Castle, where I expect to be --

Capturefavekoala.PNG
Thanks for the lesson, Ben!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I "think" I know what I am supposed to do, I just can't do it. This uns hard yakka!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I'm happy to offer a private nudge to anyone wanting one, but I'm holding off on the public nudges for the moment!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

There's still time before the end of the first 24 hours, but "Let Stalk Strine" is proving (as I thought it might) to be a tough one! Here's the list of successful solvers so far:

Hector
hoover
markhr
Laura M
DJB
KayW
Meg
Cindy Weatherman
whimsy
DIS
Charles Montpetit

That's just 11 solvers to get us started!
Berto

Post by Berto »

Moat crossed! Bonza!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Mow it crost!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Crossed the moat, with a push from Ben. Thanks for the puzzle!
Cynthia
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Ergcat wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:45 pm grid done...wrote down a few things but not seeing a path across the moat. might have to table this for a while.....
what Ergcat said. Intrigued but stuck.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Helped across the MOAT. I have always had a hard time with foreign languages. Thanks for teaching me something new!
Cindy Heisler