Mix & Match

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
cbarbee002

Mix & Match

Post by cbarbee002 »

In the manner of Adrian Cronauer, “Gooooooooooooood Morning Muggles!” I had to dust off the keyboard as it has been a while since my last appearance on MMM, but life happens!

This week’s puzzle is Mix & Match - - I won’t rate it since, well, I’m terrible at it. The idea came to me while mixing a margarita (which has absolutely NOTHING to do with the meta solve), as I sometimes get ideas from trite sayings. Based on prior commentary I know that some of you dislike the “parenthetical numbers” puzzles, but I hold out hope that this meta changes your minds. Thanks, as always, for the great input from Peter/Al.

Usual drill - - PM me with answers, nudges on Wednesday, and Gooooooooooood Luck!

Mix & Match crosshare

Mix & Match PUZ

Mix & Match PDF

Mix & Match spreadsheet

Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

In 1980, WBAI, the Pacifica radio station in New York, ran a serial drama "Our Life Together Among the Works of Art." It was like an old radio soap opera, episodes of 10-15 minutes. Adrian Cronauer was one of the names associated with it. It seems unlikely that there could be two people with that name both involved in radio, but I can find nothing on the Internet that links the AC of that show with the AC of Good Morning, Vietnam. Does anyone have any information about this?
Jay
rjy

Post by rjy »

Off the couch! Had to wrestle with this for a bit, but cool metanism and construction. Keep the dust off your keyboard!
Ray
boharr

Post by boharr »

In my confusion, I needed help but finally got off the couch.
woozy

Post by woozy »

A lesson to me not to be smug and cocky. It apparently is not what I thought the obvious mechanism would be.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is playing tougher than anticipated. Early nudges if you want them:

Follow the title in order, i.e. "mix", then "match". 64D starts you off.

The first number in the "x,y" parentheses tells you how much of the "end" to mix.
woozy

Post by woozy »

cbarbee002 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:20 pm

The first number in the "x,y" parentheses tells you how much of the "end" to mix.
OMG! I noticed those parenthesis of course but by the time I finished the grid I had completely forgotten they existed!

I would say it's time for nudges. Give it a moment.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Got it without the nudges in about 25 minutes (did on Crosshare, then saw here that you added nudges). Without the nudges you may encounter several possible rabbit holes to try, but you'll know pretty quickly if you are on the right trail... try it without the nudges, I say!

Fun one!
The other Wendy. :roll:
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Whew. Got it after nudges. Thanks, Chris!
Cynthia
woozy

Post by woozy »

Got it. And I sorry I looked at the clue. Don't know if I'd have needed them but they did clarify things. I feel like a doofus that I finished the grid and completely forgot about the (number, number) parenthesis.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Needed the nudges (thanks for taking pity on us). Nice one Chris!
Heidi
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Got it with some help, after taking a small wrong turn.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Great meta. Off the couch. I needed to have Chris remind me to folllow the directions.

This was very well done.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
markhr

Post by markhr »

That was a tough one. Nice construction.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Nice mechanism, but I'll admit I needed a nudge. I'm not a big fan of the numbers in parentheses, but this worked out nicely. Thanks, Chris!
Cindy Heisler
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Off the couch! Very nicely done, Chris!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Off the couch, without needing the nudges! Thanks, Chris.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

OTC!

Used the nudges, but they didn’t detract from my fun.

Thanks, Chris!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Off the couch after looking more closely at the title and prompt (along with the key clues).

I did look at the nudges but I don't think they gave me an assist beyond what I had already figured out. What I needed was to take a break and then to come back for another go.
Last edited by ReB on Tue May 09, 2023 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Off the couch - nudges needed.
Thanks for the puzzle!