MEOW #127: PURE EVIL

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Solution:

The shtick was, you had to get it wrong a bunch of times before you could get it right.

The first letters in the themers were MAN. So you submit MAN, I call you a sexist and give you a hint. Look to both sides.

You see the digram WO in each word on the same row of the themers. You submit WOMAN, I condemn your incessant discriminatory submissions and give you another hint. Look for the women.

You find five women's names, BETH RHONDA, URSA, TINA, EMILY. BRUTE. You submit that and get it wrong. You get a hint to look at the clues.

The clues first letters spell HUMAN. You submit that and get it wrong. I say look for a hint in the usual place.

You check the lower right across entry and see the poem "The Bells" by Edgar Allen Poe.

You find the lines

They are neither man nor woman
They are neither brute nor human
They are GHOULS

Sorry for the evility, and hope it was fun to see the punchline!
By the way MME solved it in one go. I dont know how.
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

Good puzzle, but I'm still baffled by 19D: "E/h" and the answer is "Nu". Google doesn't explain it to me. Help anyone?
Seattle DB
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

dsbened wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:53 pm Good puzzle, but I'm still baffled by 19D: "E/h" and the answer is "Nu". Google doesn't explain it to me. Help anyone?
It's the Planck relation, just rearranged algebraically (see here).
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Thanks ben!

Fun fact, this is why we stop seeing things when we close our eyes.
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

This was (evil) genius. I wasn't a good test subject because I don't like submitting too many times, so I gave up after a couple of tries when I couldn't get there on my own. But all the information was there, and anyway I could have swallowed my pride :-) Very impressive!