Rows Garden

A place for discussion about variety puzzles such as acrostics, marching bands, rows and gardens, and diagramless.
Bird Lives

Rows Garden

Post by Bird Lives »

Can the WSJ Rows Garden be done on an iPad?

I was recently given an iPad. I use it for only a couple of things and don't know how to take full advantage of its capabilities. But if there is some way of downloading the Rows Garden pdf and solving it on the iPad, I would gladly add that function to my limited repertoire. It's a 5th Gen. 32GB.
Jay
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:05 pm Can the WSJ Rows Garden be done on an iPad?

I was recently given an iPad. I use it for only a couple of things and don't know how to take full advantage of its capabilities. But if there is some way of downloading the Rows Garden pdf and solving it on the iPad, I would gladly add that function to my limited repertoire. It's a 5th Gen. 32GB.
I’ll look forward to the answer. I recently got an iPad too, but currently wouldn’t think to tackle a Rows Garden on it. Then again, for the longest time I resisted doing acrostics on-screen, but now I don’t like to do them any other way. I can see where a Rows Garden online would be easier for trial and error. My RG work on paper always involves a lot of erasing.

This, BTW, was for me, still on paper, a fun Patrick B. workout, as usual.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’m attached to my iPad at the hip! I think whatever kids these days do on their tiny phone screens, I do on my iPad. Great Rows Garden as usual.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Meg wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:51 pm I’m attached to my iPad at the hip! I think whatever kids these days do on their tiny phone screens, I do on my iPad. Great Rows Garden as usual.
Do you do the WSJ’s Rows Garden on your iPad? At a glance I don’t see an online option — only “Download PDF” — but I could be missing it. Despite working many years for tech and tech-ish companies, I’m fairly tech-dense. (Though probably better than many other old guys I know.)
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Love Rows Garden, Patrick Berry and the the Variety puzzles in general! We should be getting a Spring version of their 7 puzzle bundle from WSJ+ soon I would think. And I don't think the limitation for doing the variety puzzle is the iPad....the only version that comes up even on desktop is the PDF.
Meg

Post by Meg »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:08 pm
Meg wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:51 pm I’m attached to my iPad at the hip! I think whatever kids these days do on their tiny phone screens, I do on my iPad. Great Rows Garden as usual.
Do you do the WSJ’s Rows Garden on your iPad? At a glance I don’t see an online option — only “Download PDF” — but I could be missing it. Despite working many years for tech and tech-ish companies, I’m fairly tech-dense. (Though probably better than many other old guys I know.)
I do all my puzzling on paper, but other online puzzles, shopping, texting, forum posting, news reading, instagramming, music listening, and most emailing I do on my iPad. There is an app for solving Rows Gardens. I forget the name of it, but I'm pretty sure the WSJ one is not transferable.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Fun puzzle! I had trouble with the NE corner.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
kathyglaves

Post by kathyglaves »

I'm a first time poster -- Rows Gardens are my very favorite puzzles. I'm stuck on the Row A.
The first bloom is CANDOR -- but nothing comes to mind for the 9 letters in Row A.
Meg

Post by Meg »

kathyglaves wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:27 pm I'm a first time poster -- Rows Gardens are my very favorite puzzles. I'm stuck on the Row A.
The first bloom is CANDOR -- but nothing comes to mind for the 9 letters in Row A.
That A row was my last fill, which I had help with from another Muggle. The last 4 letters are something people do where the big waves are in Hawaii.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Really have issues with top 3 rows..Amy clues? Gotham and remove in parts of row c but no help… also rarely…
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

kathyglaves wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:27 pm I'm a first time poster -- Rows Gardens are my very favorite puzzles. I'm stuck on the Row A.
Try going to a well-attended -- and I mean packed -- metal concert. Or punk.
Jay
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

As always, a fun puzzle from Patrick. This one might have taken a little longer to solve than others, but I was able to finish strong. (It's weird how your brain can look at a few letters in the bloom and figure out what the resulting answer will be.)
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

A fun puzzle by the amazing Patrick Berry. PM me if you need help.
Heidi
DavyGravy

Post by DavyGravy »

Fun and done - but I always have to google something with these Rows Gardens. Takes away some of the satisfaction...
Question: Do any of you complete these without google?
If I’ve solved and you need a nudge, you can PM me. Happy to pay it forward. ;)