MGWCC #778 — “What’s Wrong?”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe

Post by Joe »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:57 am Awaiting beamage.

I haven't spent any time on the meta yet, but that "beamage" looks delish!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Beamed up at #211. I had to clean up a lot of errors and do some backsolving before I got it.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Whew, in at 176. I was pretty sure but it could have gone any of several ways; glad it was this way!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Beamed after receiving some assurance that I had it right. Turns out I had a mistake in the grid that was preventing me from seeing how one of the letters counted (even though I knew it had to).
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

I solved before revised instructions. Some things still aren't entirely clear to me, but I thought it was 100% after I quit trying to make it more difficult. Beamed up!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

schmidzy wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:19 pm
Looks like Matt's been marking some answers correct after the fact!
Yes. I went from #35 to #41. Still happy with that number for week 4!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer: Submitted...

EDIT: …and beamed
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

After comparing notes with another muggle, I found my mistake. This one is solidly 100%.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Found that one pretty hard… not conceptually, but in the details. Submitted and awaiting beamage. Got a little encouraging affirmation from a solver, but since it didn’t amount to nudging I’ll call this a solo.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

On the board! I had the answer last night, but had some doubts, and didn't submit. The doubts never resolved, but what I had was too perfect to be incorrect. It's always fun to get a solo solve!
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Well I submitted after many nudges from Al. Don't know if I'm right but l took the plunge.
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I have been beamed aboard. Like others, I'm glad we got the extra clarification about 15 letters before I submitted, although I had what I thought must have been the answer before that. I'll be interested in the discussion on this one.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

minimuggle wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:44 am Well I submitted after many nudges from Al. Don't know if I'm right but l took the plunge.
Edit: I am successfully beamed.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Beamed, after being reintegrated from the ether by the grace of Matt's generosity.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Needed some nudges, and a spreadsheet. The rabbit holes I went down were far too twisty to be correct, but might be turned into puzzles.
Jay
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Happily beamed up the other day at #221...after some of the same uncertainty about my submission.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Finally got around to it Sunday night and beamed up last night.

Now onto something my boss likes to call work, as in get your work done. :-)
Joe

Post by Joe »

Not sure I’d have made it without the clarification. But I’m sure to be beamed aboard!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

mgwcc778-REVEAL.png
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Doesn't 61D fit the prompt as as well? It seems like "sun" would be the correct language answer instead of "sol". What were early answers that were deemed incorrect? Also, isn't the meta answer more of a traffic violation than an automotive term?